First QSO

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KJ7ZEI, Jun 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: l-gcopper
ad: abrind-2
  1. KJ7ZEI

KJ7ZEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Had my first QSO this morning (40m)! Tested for technician and general on June 5th, in the data base June 7th, antenna up June 10th.

Thanks to my friend/neighbor/Elmer, Lee-KF7URE! I made contact with Bob-KB6CIO his brother, 600 miles away from my "shack".

A big accomplishment for me, studying, testing and setting up a ham shack that actually works.

Thanks QRZ.com!
    Brett

W5ESE, K7WFM, KE8OKM and 24 others like this.
  2. KC5NYO

KC5NYO Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats! You always remember your first! Now go radio!!

KJ7ZEI likes this.
  3. KJ7ZEI

KJ7ZEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a great local electronics store that stocks antenna making supplies. Let the experimentation begin! I hope to DX with my Icom 718.

4. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

My first HF QSO was sort of a random one....on 7.200! :confused:

Being inexperienced, and not knowing the lay of the land, I saw some activity there..... and walked right through the front door. I called CQ.... and one of the more colorful characters there answered! It was....um.... odd, to say the least. We had our QSO, which was immediately followed by the Bells of Westminster, cow immitations, and a loop of random converstation.... all on top of each other. BUT I did get his call sign, and put him into my log.... so he counts as my first HF QSO.

N4WCC, AG6QR, PU2OZT and 1 other person like this.
  5. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations Brett. Sounds like you did everything right. I made my first CW contact on the 40 meter novice band in 1969 from my parent's home in N.NJ. I was so nervous, I could hardy pound out my call when a station from Ohio answered my CQ.
    Tom WA4ILH

W5ESE and KJ7ZEI like this.
  6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ain't that the truth. While I don't remember his suffix (another WN4), I remember the QSO...or what little there was off it almost 52 years down the road. I was barely able to send my name and QTH and 73 before I through the big switch and ran out of my shack in fright. :)

KC5NYO and PU2OZT like this.
  7. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats Brett! See you on the air.

8. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations and welcome to the world of amateur radio! Hope you get you in the logbook down the line. 73 es gud dx om.

9. N4KZ

N4KZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KK4NSF,

At least you got the call of the first station you worked. Even if it was a strange QSO. My first QSO was on the 80 meter novice band in Feb. 1969. His call was WN1 something something something. I never did copy it because the QRM from all those rockbound novices was terrible that night. Oh well, it got better after that. I spent 6 months as a novice operator on CW and had a blast. Then I got my general and went from being WN4MEN to WB4MEN and the world was opened up to me with a VFO and a few hundred watts from a then-brand new Yaesu FTdx-400, the first Yaesu rig sold in the U.S.

And congrats to KJ7EZI for your first QSO, too. Wonderful memories for sure. 73, N4KZ

KK4NSF likes this.
  10. WO1X

WO1X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It’s gotta be like having your first date in a cat house!