ad: vanity

First POTA activation... This is going to be fun

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5ATA, Jan 14, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. K5ATA

K5ATA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My wife and I activated our first park last weekend for Parks on the Air. It was great fun, and a great learning experience. Getting out away from your normal operating location and working stations really makes one think about what you have, what you brought, and what you forgot. Either way, it was a blast and we will try activating another park next weekend. Looking forward to working more folks from more parks. We made a YouTube of it.

W9RAC, KI5WW and K7TRF like this.
  2. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Great idea, I'll wait till summer.

3. K5ATA

Yeah, winter has not been very wintery, so we decided to give it a go. Can't wait to take the camper this summer and hit more, but I'll take mild weather for the moment.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I prefer a BOTA activation (Bars On The Air).

Here's a shot of one recent activation. Everyone looking at the new thin Baofeng while working a station on 2m FM.:):p
    bota.PNG

W0AEW, KI5WW, K4PIH and 1 other person like this.
  5. K5ATA

HA! I guess we could come up with a lot of OTA events!

6. N9RVB

N9RVB Ham Member QRZ Page

I've done two POTA activations. Really enjoyed it.

My old Yaesu ft-890 couldn't handle life as a "field" radio and it died. I bought a new Kenwood TS-590sg to replace it, and really don't want to drag it around. I hope to pick up something more for portable use this summer and get back into it. For now, I just "hunt" when I can!

BOTA sounds like a fun activity also! :)

-rvb

7. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats. I used to do a fair bit of WWFF, its like puta but for the rest of the world. Going portable is a lot of fun and portable for an award scheme makes it even better.

8. K5ATA

Yeah, I liked using the TS-480 on this one... but see myself wanting something that is one unit, not with a detached face. Either way, I look forward to activating more parks.

9. K5ATA

WWFF? Hmmm... I have something to read up about! Yeah, going portable is fun.... I look forward to doing more of it

VK4HAT likes this.
  10. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

I am looking to activate the first porta-potty on the air (PPOTA) this coming weekend from the Pensacola Sanitation Exposition...

Screenshot from 2020-01-15 10-09-50.png

KD4MOJ and N4NYK like this.