ad: chuckmartin

First mobile Jeep (jk) Antenna

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by K2IRE, Aug 18, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. DO2EN

DO2EN Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, my rig is a 4.0 TJ but I think you can do this job in similarly mounting position.
    I use this DV27 mount for the 10m Band. For VHF/UHF there is a Diamond MR75 at the front window frame.
    73's from germany

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. W7EDC

W7EDC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is where I mounted ours. I know "its too close to the A pillar"....works great.
    MFJ 5/8 wave.

IMG_20161001_101454922.jpg

N6QIC likes this.
  3. KE5NCP

KE5NCP Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a Comet 2/70 5/8 wave mounted on my spare tire carrier using a homemade mount so it sits just so the base is above the front windshield frame, works great. Routed the coax through the rear door and along the rail to the pass seat where I mounted the radio.

N0TZU likes this.
  4. KC5AKB

KC5AKB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

looks good

5. VE4DLA

VE4DLA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is also my setup, works fine for me in town and out and underground.

6. K8SQB

K8SQB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an OR-FAB tire carrier on the back of my JKUR and picked up an Arizona Rocky Road mount, which bolts onto my 3rd brakelight mount.

First try, with a 1/4 wave Larsen 2/70 produced terrible SWR, in the 2.5 - 3.0 range for 2m and 70cm. A friend let me borrow his Comet SBB-5 and SWR dropped to 1.05 to 1.12. Very pleased with that, although it's a very tall antenna on a Jeep with a lift. The dragonfly in my avatar was atop the antenna before it made its play for freedom along a washboarded road in Death Valley.

Here's a warning about putting an antenna on your Jeep - don't accept those factory set screws as secure. I lost the whip from my first SBB-5 and the set screws from the backup (the Larsen 2/70) by the time I got home (the Larsen whip remained in place, sans screws.) Take your set screws out, put some threadlock on them and put them back in, very snug. Washboarded roads create a lot of vibration, make sure all your hardware is snug.

I've put a new SBB-5, with threadlocked set screws on the back of the rig and it's good to go again.

I'm not a martian and that antenna in this picture is not growing out of my head, but gives at least some idea of placement, even with the plain of the hardtop on my Jeep.
    [​IMG]

7. N0TZU

N0TZU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I went through this with a TJ. Doing quick and dirty field strength and SWR measurements on 2m I found the third brake light area to be horrible because of the tailgate continuity to the rest of the body is usually poor, and also because of the proximity to the defroster lines and wiper arm. A tail light mount, or the hood seam similar to the pictures above are much better locations on a JK. (For a TJ, the hood is higher and the hood seam location has more loss). Pattern skew isn't that bad and will hardly be noticeable for most FM use. Local government park ranger JKs use a 1/4 wave on the fiberglass top and must have a ground strip (like two radials) or plane underneath the roof, though I haven't been inside one to verify this.

8. KG6TGU

KG6TGU Ham Member QRZ Page

your best bet is up front. solid permanent mount on the bumper. (bumper gets all the weight). extend mast support up to just above the top of the hood (with triangle support at the top of the fender area).
    or on the rear body next to the tail light, so it is out of the way of everything. but reinforce the mount inside so as to not crack the body.
    any tire carrier mount should be built triple strong.and triple supported. i have seen a number of cheap units rnot mounted extra strong crack, break, or damage the mounting areas.
    just mind any "whip" as it can hurt another person. (i do real 4 wheeling on hard rock in a cj-7), and those with full length cb whips were baned do to the long reach and hitting people.

9. KA5IVR

KA5IVR Subscriber QRZ Page

I would also suggest checking out the JK Forum for antenna mounting ideas. They will probably be meant for CB antennas, but it is the same concept. You basically all limited in the spots you can mount an antenna so it works properly.

Mounting it by the hood like W7EDC did, as pictured above, is a good way. I have my VHF/UHF antenna mounted on my truck using this method and once you get use to it, you will not notice the antenna while driving. I have a TJ and I used a Teraflex behind the taillight mount, but your JK is different.

Attached Files:

10. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

w7edc_picture.png