First mobile....couple'a questions

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KC2KMJ, Nov 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC2KMJ

KC2KMJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking for my first dual-bander 2m/70cm remote-mount mobile and have only a few concerns as I know most of the options are the same across the brands. Any help is appreciated.

Regarding the scan feature on the mobiles, do any operate such that unless the PL/DPL is what's programmed for my channel the radio will keep on scanning? I hate it when I have a channel programmed for PL or DPL on Rx and even if there's squelch break on that channel the radio'll pause on it during scanning, even though it doesn't have the proper PL or DPL. Also, any radios I should definitely stay away from? Thanks.

2. K3SAM

K3SAM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure if I understand your question, but let me give it a crack.

First off, when you program in your PL tones, you have to do so for both xmt and rec.  If you just program them for xmt., then you are leaving the rec with no PL tones, and it will receive all transmissions on that frequency.  That includes squelch breaks, computer noise, etc.  Programming the PL for receive will reduce that.  Of course some repeaters remain "open repeaters", with no PL tones needed.

Next, you bring in DPL which is digital private line.  To my knowlege, this technology has not been introduced into amateur radio as of yet.  It was introduced into public safety in the 1980's and still isn't used as a first choice.

Last, popular brands from what I see on the treads are Kenwood and Icom.  I like the Icom but to each his own.  Stay away from brands ?  I don't have any, I just find a company that I like and stick with them.  In the case of Icom, they know I have the 756pro, 706MKII, 2100H, T2H.  So when I call for questions or product info (even service questions), it seems that I get better service.

73, Sam

3. KC2KMJ

KC2KMJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Sam. What I meant was, on (most?) Ham transceivers, how do they perform scan? If you have PL/DPL set for Rx on your channels and there's activity but with the wrong PL/DPL do the transceivers pause anyway on the channel(s) or do they keep scanning until a signal with the right PL/DPL is heard? I'm used to my Motorolas. They won't pause on a channel unless it has the correct PL/DPL. I finally ordered the Kenwood TH-F6A so I guess I'm going to find out how its scan mode(s) work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.