First impressions of the SDRplay RSP2pro

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by KK4NSF, Nov 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

well I better let Santa know I'd like one of those

getting a lot of garbage on my waterfall from electronics/tv
    a pager just went off before this shot was taken up near147Mhz and was on 2 spots on the waterfall - no towers within a few miles of us here
    Untitled.jpg

tnx

2. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

yep... that's pretty noisey. does your radio have a pre-amp control?

3. VE3CGA

do you mean the rtlsdr, all it has is a rf gain. A lot of the noise is from the dell pc, tv/monitor and I dont know what else the neighbours have.
    Thought about making a tuneable preselector like the older tube rigs had to get some input filtering.
    probably better to just upgrade

4. KK4NSF

the RFGain control is the amount of gain on the pre-amp. In a noisey area you may want to turn it down to avoid overloading the detector. You may also want to look at your antenna. If you are using a random wire, that may be a problem. They tend to pick up every stray bit of current.

I've always used a tunable loop antenna, which acts like a pre-selector. It has a strong null on either side, so I can tune out an offending signal.

5. VE3CGA

The primarily use for the dongle for noaa wx sats. Antenna is a tall quadrifilar helix on the roof for 137Mhz.
    It also gets used as a scanner, no hf monitoring with the rtlsdr.
    Turning down the rf gain down to +20 cuts a lot of the spurs down
    Idea was of just a tuned circuit on the input, of course if the spurs are actually in the vhf band , I'll have to find them and supress them.
    Cable tv amp at the end of the block has a very loud carrier right on 146.636
    Hear it on the 9100 too and used my ft60 to track it right to the box on the pole. The cable guy is there almost weekly so they
    either dont want to fix it or cant. Luckily not much on that freq

6. KK4NSF

I've run into similar problems in the past. The problem is not that they can't fix it. The problem is they won't fix it. The only way we were able to resolve it was to document the problem thoroughly, and file a complaint with the FCC. Even then, it took almost a year to get anything done.

7. VE7BPB

VE7BPB Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats on the RSP2. I'm sure you will like it even more as you get used to it.

On the software end, while SDRUno is the nominal goto program it has some little quirks that can get annoying over time, especially when you start seriously using the multiple rx modes. It's origin as a non-Windows program starts to really show.

As I mentioned before SDRConsole has become my program of choice for the RSP. It is a proper Windows program and behaves predictably like any other Windows program. It also has a lot more interesting features built-in, like servers and a sat tracking program. And it will use less computer horsepower as you start using more receivers simultaneously (SDRUno was straining at 6 receivers on my system, whereas SDRConsole just goes along merrily, though that can be dependent on using an NVidea video card).

HDSDR is a fine program for dongles but for an RSP it is like using a Volkswagon Beetle to deliver a load of lumber; there are so many things it can't do. Funny thing is, SDRConsole works just fine with a dongle and can create multiple receivers within the dongle's bandwidth, something HDSDR can't do

And with multiple receivers, you will have to start using Virtual Audio Cables to route the signals from the receivers to the programs that use them. For instance I have typically 5 copies of WSPR running at any time and route the signals from the various SDRConsole receivers on different frequencies to the appropriate program with VACs.

There are two commonly used VAC programs. I use the ones from VBcable, where you can download up to 4 different cables as donationware. this is my favorite because it is easy to use, entirely transparent and cheap,hi.

The other is called Virtual Audio Cable and has an unlimited numbers of virtual cables available but it is also a subscription model and can get very expensive.

In any case, good luck with your RSP and as always, any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

regards, Roy

KK4NSF and N3AWS like this.
  8. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

K5FR has VSP_Manager. Free for licensed hams. Look up his call & send an email. Works great for free.
    Please donate to him, as I am sure many many hours went into it.
    Please donate to the coders of SDR software, too.
    Simon has a great software in SDRConsole. He should have transmit for the LimeSDR USB soon.

Ed

KK4NSF likes this.
  9. KK4NSF

thanks for your advice / comments. I've been looking at the VAC programs and so forth....