First CW QSO in 46 years

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by VA7RLX, Jan 15, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VA7RLX

VA7RLX Ham Member QRZ Page

Whoo hoo. My thanks to poor K7XU who responded to my very rough CQ call yesterday on 20m and gave me my first CW QSO since becoming VA7RLX in Nov 2020. I was last licensed in the UK as a teenager in the early 1970's and was only active for a couple of years. K7XU - Gordon - if you read this: my apologies, I was able to transcribe only about 70% of what you sent!

I am thoroughly enjoying re-learning CW. It bends the brain a bit, especially receiving, in a good way. There's a feeling of different parts of the brain working together in a new way. When I started to relearn it I remembered most of the letters but had to relearn all the numbers and punctuation marks from scratch.

I'm currently receiving at about 7 wpm or so on a good day. Working on getting that higher, obviously. CW folks are a lot friendlier than the SSB guys as far as I can see - few people respond to CQ calls on SSB nowadays. This is a turn off for new amateurs looking for QSO's for sure.

Thank goodness for the CW fraternity.

Thanks for all the helpful posts here in this forum.
    Ritchie VA7RLX

WW2PT, PY2RAF, WD4ELG and 16 others like this.
  2. K8PG

K8PG QRZ Lifetime Member #333 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Excellent.

3. NQ8J

NQ8J Ham Member QRZ Page

That’s great! Our stories are similar but you’ve got me beat by a longshot. March of 2020 was my first in 25 years!

Keep having fun!

4. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Way To Go Ritchie!
    Welcome Aboard OM!
    VY 73...

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Nicely done!! :)

Dave
    W7UUU

6. DL4QB

DL4QB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Great! Enjoy it and a ican agee about CW / SSB. Got much more respone on CW. Like it very much as well! Keep it!

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome back, Ritchie.

I hear more and more older folks "coming back" to CW for whatever reason.

Just worked Dennis W7KB last night who's been a ham since 1977 but hadn't used CW in ~30 years and is just back to using it now. Nice chat, lasted 25 mins.

Come on everybody
    Please don't romp or roam
    We're a little nervous
    'Cause we're so far from home...
    So, if you've nothin' to do
    Sit back, and let it through
    And let us code for you...

(Apologies to Chicago)

8. M0AGP

M0AGP Ham Member QRZ Page

Well done making your way back! You got me beat - I was only away from ham radio for 40 years, and it feels very nice to be back. I love the feel of the Bencher BY-1 paddles - also love listening in on friendly CW QSOs and quick contest exchanges (I often don’t get the whole call first time tho!)

9. KF9VV

KF9VV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Awesome.

It takes a lot of effort to come back to CW after life interruption. A lot.

Did it myself a few years ago, and it has been a blast. Many of us are in the same boat.

The learning tools these days are great, the CW community is welcoming and as a carrot, the better you get, the more fun it gets.