ad: w5yi

First attempt at creating a QSL card - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD5RKO, Jun 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD5RKO

KD5RKO Ham Member QRZ Page

So this is my first attempt at making a QSL card. I wanted to style it after the RKO Radio and movies franchise. My Photoshop skills are severely lacking. This was mostly done in a combination of Paint3D and the Pixlr.com online photo editor. The plan is to make the reverse side with all the contact info, and instead of doing it postcard style, I intend to have sent in anvelope to prevent damage. I did make the image 2000 by 1270 pixels, as I saw suggested somewhere. Any hints, suggestions, criticisms are welcome. ( Maybe not so much on the criticism though! ) Also best windows software suggestions for improvements. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

WZ7U likes this.
  2. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Really looks good.

Side note, add county and ITU/CQ zones. These could be on the back.

3. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks pretty neat. The aspect ratio should be 1.555 (90 x 140mm) so you're pretty close. Tighten up the spacing between K and D.

4. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Not criticizing really... but I don't care for the " Grid Square... " right on the front below the address.

What's on the back side? Can you put that there along with the zone info previously suggested?

I would probably center the address between the top of the card and the top of the callsign.

Really like the idea though! Cool!

5. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

I like it, and I'm a hard critic on QSL card design if you're going to the trouble and expense of a nice custom card.

Just a thought ... IIRC, the RKO studio sequence at the beginning of their movies usually had someone morse code. I believe they were sending "RKO PICTURES" or the like. But it always ended with a series of "V" characters. Or maybe that was just during war time. In any case, I don't know, but you might want to incorporate that somehow. Pretty obscure, though.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    WZ7U and KP4SX like this.
  6. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Very nice! I would suggest light(e)ning up the lightning bolts to give them more contrast (and in keeping with the original RKO logo.)

7. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Love it!

Two pieces of advice to take or leave:

Also carefully consider the back of your card. Examples: https://kb3ifh.homestead.com/qslbacks.html

On that page, I use option #10, but I include a larger box for QSO details, as shown in option #6. Why? a) because I often send cards to DXpeditions, where I've made multiple contacts to the same callsign and b) because I often use Avery address labels to print out the QSO details, then affix that label to the back of the card, over the QSO detail table. If fits perfectly. None of the examples are 'wrong' - they all just serve slightly different needs.

If you enjoy QSLs, consider starting with a small batch (say, 100) and seeing how much you need them and if you might want to play with your design over time. For me, my design is static - I like it. But others might like to have different cards for the seasons, for different kinds of QSOs, etc.

Hope to work you someday and we'll trade QSLs

8. KD5RKO

Nothing on the back side yet. Still just playing around with it.

9. KD5RKO

Thanks for the suggestions

10. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like RKO Pictures is an active trademark. You might want to credit them in very small print someplace on your card... On my card I used Google Maps for the picture. I gave them credit/ownership on the card.

The chances of the owner of the trademark coming after you would seem to be minimal, but why take the chance. Who knows, you might step on the toes of a trademark lawyer when competing for that rare dx :cool:

BTW, I like the card...