First Antenna

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KJ6CLX, Nov 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KJ6CLX

KJ6CLX Ham Member QRZ Page

I just finished making my first antenna. Its a J-pole made out of twin lead tv line with RG-59 as the feed line. This antenna will primarily be used with my Yaesu FT-60R and I was wondering if it would be okay to use the antenna without checking it with an SWR meter or could it damage the radio? Also since this is a 2 meter antenna if I accidentally key up on 440 could the antenna be damaged?

Thanks in advance

2. AE5TE

AE5TE Ham Member QRZ Page

Whether it could damage the radio depends on the radio, power level, etc. On "low power" I've transmitted into all kinds of different things without too much worry though. Right now I'm using a $20 Radio Shack scanner antenna as a sort of utility antenna for VHF/UHF. I have no idea what the SWR is on any particular frequency but it works.

But there are reasons besides possible damage to the rig that you should have a low SWR. You should check the SWR and tune the antenna just to be sure.

A 2M J-pole might work OK on 440. It would have some undesired high angle lobes but if it achieves your desired results that's the main thing.

3. KJ6CLX

KJ6CLX Ham Member QRZ Page

So at 5 Watts its not going to damage the radio at all?

4. AE5TE

AE5TE Ham Member QRZ Page

No guarantees but I doubt it would hurt the radio at 5W.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.