First Antenna help

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by K2DN, Jul 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. AE5JU

AE5JU Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been "playing radio" on 75, 40, 20, 17, 15, and 10 meters.

http://www.hamuniverse.com/ae5jumultibanddipole.html

And with a minimum of cost.

This is basically a modification of my SWL antenna.

And I've made QSO's all over the USA, coast to coast, top to bottom, Canada, Mexico, all over the Carribean, including two (and got the cards back!) from Cuba. Costa Rica, Ecuador, Brazil, Argentina. More recently, Italy, Ireland, Scotland.

Paul
    AE5JU

2. WA7OET

WA7OET Moderator QRZ Page

Whatever happened to the good ole 135ft center fed antenna fed with open wire line and a balanced tuner?? Or, if you dont want to use a tuner this is the best "windom" I have ever used: http://www.w8ji.com/windom_off_center_fed.htm

3. K2DN

K2DN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for everyone's help.

My Father and I drove down to Gigaparts in Huntsville yesterday where I purchased a MFJ-941E tuner, a radiowavz GR5V Jr., 25' of RG-8x and a magazine for exactly $199.40. 60 cents under budget.

I realize I could have built the GR5V for less, but at $28 ready to go, I could not see building my own.

I erected the antenna this morning, about 25' in the air, not ideal, but it was the best I could do for now.

I have only tried the antenna during the day, but so far so good. Vast improvement over the 20' of wire I had hung out the window.

Thanks again,
    Todd
    KJ4MXK

4. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm glad it's working for you, Todd. Any antenna is better than no antenna, and you can study the problem to death if you aren't careful. Playing with different antennas is really a big part of the fun of this hobby.

5. KF5KWO

KF5KWO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

re:

Congrats, Todd! Good to be on the air, isn't it? My first antenna was an MFJ Magnetic Loop, still have it. But my next 4 antennas were homebrew. Was nice to make an antenna for a lot less money. Good luck!

73 de Jeff, KF5KWO
    Helotes, TX

6. AB8RU

AB8RU Ham Member QRZ Page

Got a 4 Banger Calc ?

Just look on your computer if you have WIN whatever should be a calculator program, otherwise do a search calculator million sites.

Next so easy a Novice can do it ( notice I did not say a Cavemen LOL! )

memorize this !

462 / f in Mhz = L in feet for 1/2 wave antenna

say for 10 Meters at 28.400 Mhz apparent Center Freq well 462/ 28.400= 16.267605633802816901408450704225 Ok trim it down to 16.27 feet /2 = 8.135 ft convert to inches 12 * 8.135= 97.62 inches.

Are you still with me anyone lost yet! ?

Insulators , anyplace , rope same thing RG-58 series and a good PL-259 BTW lightning ground good idea.

Hanging height Min 20 feet is 3.74 feet over 1/2 wave height for best results or you can string it vertical, bear in mind the RG 58 coax must run horiz for 20 feet before changing direction of angle .

This is just a 10 Meter view of things. add 2 to 6 inches on each end BEFORE YOU CUT THE WIRE OFF THE SPOOL ! you will need it to insert the wire thru the eye on the insulator and wrap it .

there are sites explain the rest and good luck. Remember your memorization 462/ f in Mhz = L in feet just as easy as Pi :)

7. AE5JU

AE5JU Ham Member QRZ Page

The Jetstream JTCE1 is an excellent center insulator, connection for your dipole. It sells for about $15.00. I bought the Jestream JTCE1 from J and L. www.jandl.com These come in 5 colors, black, blue, white, gray, green.

[​IMG]

I bolted it to a piece I cut from a cheap plastic kitchen cutting board.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The V-cut on bottom is to make it easier to wrap the connector with coax seal.

Here's a good choke balun made from ferrite beads. These are 5 beads, FSB-1/4" from Palomar Engineers.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.