first amp questions

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KA0RPU, Apr 6, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Love my AL-572 50w in 500w out, 90 in 900out, but I try to keep it under 700.

K0UO likes this.
  2. KX8C

KX8C QRZ Lifetime Member #153 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Going from 100W to 500W (20 dBW to 27.0 dBW) seems a cost effective choice. Going from 500W to 1500W (27.0 dBW to 31.8 dBW) for a lot more money is a tough sell.

I had to do the math myself. :)

73 de KX8C Jim

W4HWD likes this.
  3. K0OKS

K0OKS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, it's not much more power, but you CAN hear the difference on the other end. Try it on the air some time. The S/N is improved and the more powerful station sounds better (Fletcher Munson, and more modern variants based on the S/N) . Is it worth the money? Up to you, up to you if you want to expend the extra electricity as well. I guess it depends on what the "desired communication" is .;)

It is less than an S unit, though (if your S units are a proper 6dB, not some of these modern rigs with 3dB S units). I have had night on 75m when people could not hear me at 500W, but could at 1500W, but that is pretty rare. Personally, I think about 1000W is the sweet spot.

KX8C likes this.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Should be solid...but 572Bs may be down to exactly one manufacturer now (in China) and sometimes are hard to get -- everyplace was out of them entirely for a few months last year.

Have a set of spares and they'll probably outlive all of us.:p

5. KA0RPU

KA0RPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow!! still a lot of info to digest!! But from what I can tell my best bet will be to go s/s. I'm not worried about contesting, just trying for a bit more ump! when i'm on the edge of being heard. Thanks for everyone's input:):) !!
    73's de ka0rpu Mike

6. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I do. I had a 30-L1 with the original tubes, used it for years, just as good the day I sold it as the day I bought it.

7. K7JQ

K7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you've decided on solid state, at that power range the best bets are the Elecraft KPA-500 or the Acom 700S. DX Engineering shows the Acom in stock. Just make sure if your antenna(s) are more than about 1.7:1 SWR, you will need a capable antenna tuner.

Bob K7JQ

8. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Or if you don't want to have to sell a kidney to buy it, the Ameritron ALS-600. If you're handy with a screwdriver and don't mind a little sweat equity, look at the Mercury IIIs kit for not a lot more.

The Ameritrons are often on the used market for half the new price.

W7DGJ and K0UO like this.
  9. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

Didn't mention your budget if there is one. If yes, a used 80B is the cat's meow if on a budget. If not, the Acom 1000 (I have one and it puts out solid 1KW FT8 constant use if you want to and never breaks 50°C) is nice because it includes 6M, 1010 is nice to, but don't expect to be able to do a bunch of work on Acom. The 80B is a workhorse for the price and repairable if you're handy. SS, I'm not familiar enough to comment. The tubes are forgiving and will work into a 3:1 SWR easily. SS either a tuner or good antennas.

10. W4WTS

W4WTS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Many solid state amps will be in a price range of about $4 a watt when everything is considered. . I have an old hunter bandit which works perfectly, that cost me .27 cents a watt. I run a QRO HF-2500DX that I have a little over $1.25 a watt in.........Yes, solid state is the future, but the price seems inflated to me considering cost per watt.....also, I've heard several solid state amps that were quite dirty, possibly because they were being over driven....of course you can over drive a tube amp as well.

I'm sticking with tubes until the price drops on the solid state amps....as I can figure I can buy 3 to 4 tube amps for the price of one solid state.