First Amp Hookup

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by W2MGL, May 5, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W2MGL

W2MGL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm due to take delivery on my first HF amp this month (Acom 1010). Of course, God only knows if this will become a reality after months of back order. Anyway, my jumper cable is an RG-213U about 12' long. I just found out that I'll only need about half that. Is it ok to loop the excess jumper or will that pose a problem?

2. N8CBX

N8CBX Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not use RG-58? If it's a patch cable between the radio & amp, thats all you really need and easier to coil up, than RG-8 or in your case RG-213.
    Jan N8CBX

K0UO likes this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd hope you need less than six feet.

It's nice to have the amplifier near the transceiver so you can easily adjust either one while sitting in the same place, and the Acom 1010 does require adjustment.

My amplifiers are usually within two feet of the radios that drive them, so a 3' patch cable is all I need.:) And I agree smaller, more flexible cable like RG-58 or RG8X may be a better choice for this.

K0UO likes this.
  4. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Not a problem.

5. ZS6US

ZS6US XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I made the jumper between my radio and coax to just have a little bit of slack in case I slightly reposition things, but it's not even enough slack for a loop, it's around 1.5m long.

Personally I'll advise against a long looped / coiled up jumper, for now it will work just fine, but once you settled on a nice shack layout rather make up a shorter one.
    A jumper is one more place where unwanted RF can enter, even more so with a longer jumper. Make it as short as possible, only as long as necessary.

6. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Please make sure that when testing and tuning up to record settings you use a dummy load.

People already in a QSO will appreciate that.

Pheel