ad: w5yi

First 10 Days with a New Flex-6400

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N6OIX, Sep 10, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KG4QAB

KG4QAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats on your new radio and enjoy !!:)

KN6ECE likes this.
  2. WA5MD

WA5MD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

To me, a useful review always includes a subjective description of the real-world user experience. When most of us unbox a new rig and set it up, we don't measure the receiver sensitivity, the blocking dynamic range, the harmonic suppression, and the 3rd order IMD. Instead, we get on the air and operate it. Even if a radio has top end technical specs, I wouldn't buy it if other operators don't find it easy and enjoyable to operate, so I like to read about the operating experiences of other ops like this, whatever you call it.

K0PG, N5NOQ, W4QBQ and 2 others like this.
  3. KC7ES

KC7ES XML Subscriber QRZ Page

On the USB mic..Is that supported by the 6400, or do you have it going into your computer's USB port? Glad you are enjoying your nice setup..I'm old school with a 6300 hi hi
    KC7ES

N6OIX likes this.
  4. K2XT

K2XT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Would anyone want to hear about my FT818?
    You don't even need a ham shack or BMW, you can hang it around your neck!
    Shack in a box, shack on a belt, this is shack around your neck.
    Actually it is 99% the same as an 817, so anyone could just go read up on it.

Rick K2XT

KA2FIR and K8JHR like this.
  5. K2XT

K2XT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I got a little old 6300 4 yrs ago. Out of the box, on the desk, loaded sw from the cd, plugged into the pc and a ps and an antenna AND a stereo (it is basically an octopus), and a mic. It has worked flawlessly ever since. The most trouble free rig I ever owned. The display is so awesome that when you see any of these sdrs with knobs and their minuscule spectrum displays it is actually laughable. Understandable, of course, but the display with a Flex allows you to actually see what the signals are all about.
    Which reminds me, the spectrum level appears to be perfect. That is, from about -120 dbm up to around 0 dbm the display is calibrated perfectly and linear. As good as a spectrum analyzer. And today the replacement 6400 is under $2000. A bargain.

W4RAV and N6OIX like this.
  6. WX4W

WX4W Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Kenwood TS-990 as my main shack rig and recently added a Flex 6400 and a Maestro to the Shack. I agree with most here that the 6400 is a fine rig but it's not all roses. When using the Maestro on my neighbor's deck there is a fairly significant latency or delay that you need to get used to when running remote. Both my neighbor and I have very fast internet but the delay is noticeable. Now I must add that when working locally on my LAN the delay isn't an issue and the Flex makes operating remotely very easy.

I've also seen a delay when using CW and a local set of paddles connected directly to the Flex. This week I've setup my laptop to operate remotely and configured N1MM to control the Flex and plan to play in the CWT next week while on vacation in Florida. It will be interesting to see how the delay impacts operating in that.

As far as the comments from people saying they thought they'd miss the knobs and buttons of a traditional radio but found that they do not...my experience is different. I much prefer my 990 over the Flex when operating at my station desk. For me a traditional radio is faster to operate and easier to tune than using a mouse. The Maestro would be a must for me if the Flex was to be my main radio. But the 6400 has capabilities that make it for me a great second or backup radio..... such as allowing remote operation from my deck, upstairs or another state away. For me the Flex is the best choice as a backup radio because of the added capabilities while still being a great rig to use as my main radio if the 990 has to go in for repair. The Flex really compliments a traditional radio setup fantastically.

Again this is just my opinion to offer another view from a happy Flex user and I am in no way throwing shade on the Flex. The Flex is a fantastic radio but my point is that every radio has both pros and cons. As they say, your mileage may vary,

KR3DX and K2XT like this.
  7. VE3TMT

VE3TMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe QRZ used the term "review"

Very nice setup. I'm curious how you lit up the mic?

Makes me want to ditch my small monitors. I have a 40" flat screen sitting in a box unused, that may be put into use soon ;)

KN6ECE likes this.
  8. W4DSD

W4DSD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know about the rest of you, but I enjoyed reading about his new radio and how he was using its features much more than the "News" articles. Good job and continue using that awesome setup.

N5NOQ, W1TRY and KN6ECE like this.
  9. AJ2I

AJ2I Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a 6400 but sold it and went back to superhet radios. The 6400 RX is deaf on weak signals. Look at sherwood's measurements, -112dBm on RX, the worst on the list by far. All the Flex radios are terrible at MDS and pulling in weak signals. A 706 does a better job and much more sensitive. When you can't hear a signal but every other rig can, it's a problem.

KA2FIR and KR3DX like this.
  10. AE2B

AE2B Ham Member QRZ Page

looks like im standing in best buy