Firmware updates

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by WD0BCT, Jan 26, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have read horror stories by others here concerning "bricking" their transceivers while either programing or updating firm ware via USB connection. Quite a few rigs on the market require the installation of special USB drivers prior to connecting the tranceiver to their computer.

My particular experience involves Yaesu. A few years ago I successfully added a Yaesu driver to a Windows 10 laptop. It was relatively easy to confirm the USB driver in Device Manager before connecting the transceiver via a USB connection. I had no problems.

Recently I updated my shack computer with a unit having a lightly newer version of Windows 10 (1803). While attempting to add the Yaesu USB driver (actually SiliconLabs CP210x) I was unable to confirm the driver with Windows 10 Device Manager. Contacting Yaesu their response was that current Yaesu download of CP210x works with the latest Windows 10 version. Google CP210x and you will find that it has compatibility problems with Windows 10 ver 1803.

I am hesitant to just plug in the transceiver USB connection and attempt programing or firmware update w/o confirming the proper USB driver is in place. Anyone else out there having problems with USB drivers and latest versions of Windows 10?

2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been using the CP210x driver with Windows 10 for a long time. I'm currently on Windows 10 ver 1809. That said, I'm using an older version of the CP210x driver, the version downloadable from the Icom website. When I installed a newer version from the Silicon Labs web site, N1MM stopped working. I went back to the old version, the problem cleared. Was it caused by a Windows 10 incompatibility, I don't know?

As for 'bricking' a device, my experience has been that properly designed equipment cannot be bricked. There are reports of Yaesu mobiles being bricked when programmed using Chirp. If the reports are true, I do not think it's Chirp's fault. I have bricked no-name electronics before, but that was 'understandable', they are 'cheap'.

Try bricking an Apple device, for example, it's very hard. Apple has lots of safeguards in place before 'onlining' an upgraded firmware.

I'm not saying it'll not/cannot happen, just my experience.

3. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very interesting.
    The CP210x driver downloaded from the FT891 site would not work with W10 v1803 and N3FJP AC logger.
    Yaesu Tech directed me to the driver download on the FT991 site and it worked withW10 v1803 and N3FJP AC logger.
    The interesting thing is that my radio is the FT891?