Firefox and Linux

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by N2IZE, Mar 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. N2IZE

N2IZE Ham Member QRZ Page

Wonder if anyone out here has been having problems with the latest FireFox (version 2) under Linux. I am presently running it under fedora Core 6 (XEN kernel 2.6.18-x) and KDE and am noticing it crashes quite often. When I was running it under FC1 and FC3 it was remarkably stable and rarely crashed. Now it crashes worst than a plane with a drunken pilot. I haven't attached a debugger to it yet or run it via strace so I have no idea whats causing it to balk so often.

Just wondering if anyone else has been experiencing these kinds of instabilities under Linux ? Although I prefer Firefox's features I've been running Opera lately as it is much more stable.

2. KA5PIU

KA5PIU Guest

Hello.

I have seen this with FC6 only (zod).
    It seems to be how the application reacts to the NIC.
    And I thought I was the only one. [​IMG]
    My trouble started when it was losing the bookmarks and got worse from there.

3. AE6IP

AE6IP Ham Member QRZ Page

The common view is that 2 is far less stable than 1.5 was, even in its early days.

4. KC9ECI

KC9ECI Ham Member QRZ Page

It isn't giving me any trouble under Ubuntu or Freespire. No issues with it under Windows Vista yet either. More stable than IE7 in ny event.

5. W9FXC

W9FXC Ham Member QRZ Page

When I switched from FF 1.5.0.10 to 2.0.0.2 I also updated a few plug-ins and it crashed quite a bit. When I got rid of Shockwave Flash 9.0 and went back to version 7.0 Firefox became rock solid. You may want to check your plug-ins to see if they are causing problems.

I am running Slackware 10.0 and kernel 2.4.33.

6. N6HCM

N6HCM Ham Member QRZ Page

no trouble here under these platforms:

- fedora core 6
    - macosx 10.4.9
    - vista business
    - windows xp

frequently the problems that happen with an upgrade are often related to plug-ins, add-ons, ... if you're having trouble get rid of the plugins ... when the resulting environment is stable then add the current versions of those plugins one at a time.

7. K5PHW

K5PHW Ham Member QRZ Page

No problems here so far. [​IMG]

8. N2IZE

N2IZE Ham Member QRZ Page

Only problem with getting rid of flash 9 is that there are sites that seem to require it. Some apps won;t work under 7.

I don't think the problem I am having has anything to do with Flash. I am going to see if I can debug the thing as see what happens next time it crashes, however it seems to be running better lately.

And thus far Opera is rock stable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.