Firefox 63 Does Not Pull In Data

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by NK2U, Nov 7, 2018 at 1:54 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. NK2U

NK2U Ham Member QRZ Page

I have Firefox version 62 that works very well with both reversbeacon and dxwatch sites. Firefox recently updated to version 63 and now the QSO data is not being pulled in. All I get is a spinning star yet the data never comes through. I am wondering if I have not set up this new version correctly since it is very privacy orientated. Mozilla says they can't reproduce the problem...

Any ideas?

de NK2U

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Chrome ? :)

3. NK2U

NK2U Ham Member QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No, Mozilla Firefox 64 bit.

de NK2U

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I was meaning to use Chrome instead.

It works more better for me.

5. NK2U

NK2U Ham Member QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll have to check that out if they can't fix this problem.

de NK2U

6. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure if it's specific to version 63. I used to see the same thing from time to time with previous versions.

I accessed the RBN twice yesterday. The first time I had the problem you describe, the second time it worked ok.

If you are going to try another browser, consider Opera.

7. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

According to the changelog:

Added content blocking, a collection of Firefox settings that offer users greater control over technology that can track them around the web. In 63, users can opt to block third-party tracking cookies or block all trackers and create exceptions for trusted sites that don’t work correctly with content blocking enabled.

I believe you just need to either disable the new feature (see Preferences, Privacy, All Detected Trackers), or whitelist the sites you are talking about (see Preferences, Privacy, Change Block List).

There may be other Privacy settings that need to be tweaked, depending on the details of the site you are visiting.

Edit: also, if you are using other aggressive security software on your machine (e.g., Avast, or other scanners that try to sandbox applications) it could also be that you just need to tell your security software that you trust the new version of Firefox. Many such programs keep a signature of the executable file, and if it changes, the new version isn't trusted by default.

8. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe, maybe not. I do have all these features enabled. I also have ADBlock and UBlock add-ons running side by side in Firefox.

Yes, this combination can cause problems sometimes, but it makes surfing the web a lot more satisfying.

K3XR likes this.
  9. NK2U

NK2U Ham Member QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Understood. I thought I tried all that but will have to go at it again.

de NK2U

10. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I also noticed that 63.0.1 is already out, so there may be some "shake down" going on in the new feature set. You might roll back to 62.0 for a while if you can't get 63.0 to work for now, while you wait for them to get the bugs worked out of 63.0.