Finishing a call someone is struggling to get: rude or not?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE0EYJ, Aug 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Please share with me on CW, SSB, AM modes, how a signal report is different "in this day and age?"
    When I am QRP strangely most of my reports are 559 or less, whereas as on 100 watts they are 579-599.
    Sounds relevant to me.
    Although 559 really means 439 because I get requests for repeats.
    PSK reports are as useless as contests reports, virtually no one bothers to be take the slightest effort.
    The most honest are JT-65 because it requires no effort whatever.

2. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

One can check her signal herself, granted internet access is required:

CW - use RBN and/or a remote receiver.
    AM and SSB - use a remote receiver.

Any 'human' report is subject to many variables. It depends not only on your setup, but on the other station's setup, and how she interprets what she sees and/or hears.

I did not say PSK reports, but PSKReporter, the site at pskreporter.info .

As I think you said in other posts, and on your YouTube video, what's the point of a 599 after 10 repeats. In the case of CW, one could still be 599, and cause problems for the receiving station due to bad sending.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2017
  3. K1OIK

That is amazing if I work Austria, Japan, or Hawaii I can go on the internet and find out exactly how well my signal was received at the station I was working. How do they do that?

4. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

You should come back when you get a signal.

5. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

If you completed the QSO, that's what counts.

If you are concerned about the quality of your signal, or whether or not your signal is being received in a specific area, what I suggested is still a much better way of obtaining the needed/wanted information.

I don't think there is an RBN node or remote receiver in Mt. Athos, for example, but it is possible in Austria , Japan, and Hawaii.

And if it all fails, take the fake 599/59, and be happy.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2017
  6. K1OIK

I am concerned about the strength at the receiving location. I have a backup (:p:p:p)receiver at my house to check quality.

7. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It varies :)

8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Finishing a call someone is struggling to get: rude or not?

Yes. Next?

9. N4AAB

N4AAB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've missed part of a call I was working on Field Day... I asked once or twice, then stopped said I got it, and waited. Soon, the person I had talked to identified himself to the next ham trying to get the QSO , and I logged the call sign.

W4IOA likes this.
  10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. The contact MUST be between the two stations in contact, with NO relay involved. Relay stations not only complicate the matter, but waste valuable time for the net control and/or others.