Finishing a call someone is struggling to get: rude or not?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE0EYJ, Aug 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. KV6O

KV6O Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a mixed bag issue.... I suspect the station honestly thought he was helping, so does that make it rude?

2. KK6NOH

KK6NOH Ham Member QRZ Page

I like to do that for field day. This last FD I was partnered up with a logger and was constantly getting yelled at 'THERE HE IS... TALK TO HIM! TALK TO HIM!!!!!" and they would get upset every time I would say "I haven't gotten their information yet".

sigh*
    some people are so excitable

N6QIC likes this.
  3. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Was this in a contest?

4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a few useful "assists" during my recent K1T event, with really poor HF propagation conditions. In one case I had the 20m beam pointed towards the US Southeast, and a chap came back from 4-land and said "there's a KL7 calling you" at which point I swung the beam the other way around and got him in the log - same thing happened on another day but this time with Hawaii.

I considered both of these to be valid and useful assists simply due to poor conditions and a beam pointed the wrong way.

Dave
    W7UUU

N4AAB, W4IOA, N3AB and 1 other person like this.
  5. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is different, but the sad fact... my beam is an armstrong rotator, and it means a 7-minute roof excursion to move it.

Hahha

6. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry but it wasn't a lecture. It looks like I misunderstood what you were asking in your post. You never said that you were running a pile up. Do what ever you want.

You said: What is the typical protocol for someone trying to work DX in your country....

Anyway it doesn't matter, Carry on with your thread.

7. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

No harm here.... thanks for the info.

Happy Hamming!

N6QIC likes this.
  8. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

True, but there's a difference between someone telling you that there's a KL7 calling you, and someone telling you KL7AIR (or whatever) is calling you.

One is alerting you to a propagation opening you may not be aware of. And you still have to take steps (move the beam, listen for the station calling... he could be an NL7 or WL3, and so on, of course).

The other is telling you specifically which station is calling, which is making it way too easy.

9. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I know it may be hard to believe, but people do give out 59 reports outside of contests. Whether or not they are warranted.

10. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Warning: can of worms being open.:D

While I understand the 'heritage' of a signal report, is it really relevant in this day and age?

With skimmers, RBN, PSKReporter, Hamspots, remote receivers, and maybe other 'tools', very few people would care about a report. Why bother exchanging 'procedural' reports?

One can always ask for a true report if really needed, by framing it around a new antenna, microphone, etc. But again, with the tools above, you don't even need a contact.