Finishing a call someone is struggling to get: rude or not?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE0EYJ, Aug 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, I could tell you a few stories about lists, especially on some "DX Nets".

Fortunately for me, I quickly and finally learned that I didn't need that crutch to work DX, even rare DX, and haven't dealt with those groups (or some of the "personalities" who operate on them) for decades.

2. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

There are entire nets who promote "fake DX".

They say

Yeah that was a good contact.

Try to enjoy what legitimate DX contact is left because the situation is not going to improve.

3. 2E0WMG

2E0WMG Ham Member QRZ Page

No, just no.....

4. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

I was sure of that. This is why I mentioned it.:D

I only tried a list once in the mid 80s. I had mixed feelings about it from the very beginning, but a friend convinced me to try. I could not hear the DX station, only the list 'manager'. After a few unsuccessful tries, the friend relayed the signal report to me. That 'killed' it, and I never tried it again. No QSO logged, by the way.

KE0EYJ likes this.
  5. W4IOA

W4IOA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sometimes while I'm waiting I'll yell it out to myself but not on the air.
    If I make a contact and not quite sure of the call I'll listen a bit to make sure I got it right.
    Breaking in to relay, bad practice.

6. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You should "always" have all the information before attempting to make the contact. Keep listening until you have the full call sign, name, location, and any other important information.

If you can't get the full call sign by listening, then there is no reason to try to make the contact, keep listening until you get it.

Once you make your contact you can give your signal report and say "Thank you I have all your information" this will be noticed by the station.

A DX station said to me once, "Now that is how to make a contact, wish more were like that, thanks Lisa 73".

WZ7U and N0TZU like this.
  7. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

While nobody will disagree with the above, it does not sound like a DX pile up.

There are things that are a must for a valid contact, others that are not, or are even detrimental to the 'flow'.

KC9VFO likes this.
  8. N0TZU

N0TZU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I once heard a well known big gun middle eastern station entertaining a few quick stateside contacts after a rag chew. A US guy calls and the DX station gives him his report.

Then - the US guys asks, "What is your call sign?", obviously not even knowing who or where the DX was.

He got a well deserved tongue lashing from the DX station!

K8AI, WU8Y and N6QIC like this.
  9. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, thanks for the lecture, but it happens when I'm running pile-ups. I'm not blindly calling people. They're calling me, and my beam is only a 2-el in a big, noisy city, so I sometimes have difficulty. I do my best. This is from one of two pile-ups I ran, today. I logged 81 stations.

hot calls 2.jpg

10. KC9VFO

KC9VFO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If someone relays part of my call for the DX station, Ii doesnt make it into my log, I will try again later.

I hear people bragging about all the "contacts" they make using a 2 meter repeater. I cant listen to it anymore . My 2 meter antennas are sitting in the shed and the VHF radios are unplugged sitting on a shelf.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    W4IOA likes this.