Finishing a call someone is struggling to get: rude or not?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE0EYJ, Aug 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What is the typical protocal for someone trying to work DX in your country....

Let's say they are trying to get a callsign, but it's taking several attempts to get that last letter. If you can make it out, do you break into the conversation -- not bothering to identify -- and blurt out the DX's call to give them the answer?

I am asking, because maybe some actually think this is friendly, or normal?

From my perspective -- I despise it.

For the 2nd night in a row, a local op (Korean or Japanese) exploded onto my frequency splattering a mile wide at 5/9+30db, to finish the DX callsign I was struggling to get.

Not only did it anger me, it hurt my ears. I had put headphones on to make out the call.

Do you think it's rude, or is it just friendliness?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    K9ASE likes this.
  2. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes, the other party is simply trying to be helpful.
    Other times, they are getting impatient and are afraid you're taking up too much time (which may block them and are trying to hurry things along. Those guys are rude and inconsiderate.
    And it can sometimes be a Frequency Cop doing what Frequency Cops do. The less said about them, the better.

Regardless of the intentions, it should not be done. It is poor operating practice.

K8MHZ, WN2C, K1TGX and 3 others like this.
  3. K3EY

K3EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow that's being nice!

In a perfect world, wait a minute, we don't live in a perfect world.

4. KC9VFO

KC9VFO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If someone helps/ relays a callsign, it does not count as a contact. So YES it is rude as hell.

WA8FOZ, KD8OSD, K8MHZ and 6 others like this.
  5. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

There is very little difference between relaying a (part of a ) callsign and relaying the entire qso as in the rent-a-station context remote operation.

There is nothing to preclude either/both from "counting" except integrity.

K1OIK and KE0EYJ like this.
  6. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

On CW I had an unknown guy tell a DX station that there was a KP4 calling. I didn't copy everything that the DX station said in his unleashing of wrath but the bottom line was that he would not work me! Thanks, Mr Helpful.

KE0EYJ and NL7W like this.
  7. WX7P

WX7P Ham Member QRZ Page

If the call is some garden variety DX like JA (for us out here) then who really cares?

If it's a rare dx station, they'll be on frequency long enough for you to figure out the call on your own.

Never acknowledge bad operators ever.

KE0EYJ and NL7W like this.
  8. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very rude indeed. I hear this happen all the time. Sometimes the DX thanks the person relaying, which encourages more bad behavior. Other times the person trying to assist, calls over top of the person who is giving his call many times phonetically. That person is unaware that someone assisted him, so if he logs the contact, he does so in good faith. It might even have happened to me, who knows? What is the DX to do? Penalize the guy who was playing by the rules by not logging the contact?

73/DX,
    Mike, K2CD

KE0EYJ likes this.
  9. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

"WHISKEY 5 SIERRA HOTEL TANGO"
    "Please repeat suffix?"
    Whiskey 5 shouts louder, "SIERRA HOTEL TANGO."
    "Ok that's Sierra hotel bravo."
    "NO IT's TANGO, TANGO I REPEAT LAST LETTER IS TANGO."
    "Ok, got it Sierra hotel tango you are 5/9."

WD0BCT, N4AAB, W5VTC and 1 other person like this.
  10. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

And it will eventually generate an unethical confirmation.

Remember the bad old days of lists? This happened all the time, not only with the callsign, but the report as well.

KE0EYJ likes this.