Finding Obsolete Parts

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W4KJG, Nov 20, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm finding it harder and harder to find obsolete parts for my "classic" equipment, particularly my 1970s Ten Tec products.

I'm just wondering how others are finding parts, particularly Integrated Circuits and certain RF power transistors.

So far I've been able to find what I've needed. I've found the products at decent prices from a few places, but the the shipping and handling is usually about the same as the minimum order price. Typically I'm finding minimum orders of $15-$25, not including shipping. Shipping/handling is almost always at least $15 for a couple of ounces of product.

I feel fortunate to find at least find these parts in the US. I'm just glad that somebody has these items.

My latest need is some MC-1723 ICs. They are unique enough that if I wouldn't have found them for about $5 each, I'm not sure how I would design a work-around circuit.

I always buy extras whenever I do find one of these types of obsolete parts.

I don't want to publish the names of the companies I use because I don't think most are QRZ advertisers.

So, I'm just wondering how others are finding specialty parts that don't have substitutes or a reasonable method of building a circuit to provide usable substitute.

Thanks all,
    Ken
    W4KJG

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That's not an issue at all. Publish away - links such as those can help others.

Dave
    W7UUU

W4HMB likes this.
  3. KW4H

KW4H Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

WQ4G, WA1GXC, W7UUU and 2 others like this.
  4. W4KJG

First -- a thank you to Dave/UUU for clarifying that we can post about good vendors, who may or may not be advertisers here on QRZ.COM.

In addition to Steve's list, I would like to recognize RF Parts. I've been using them for at least 10 years. The owner obviously saw a need to buy up as much as possible of electronic parts stocks that are no longer manufactured.

His prices are fair. He ships very quickly. I've never had any issues with the obsolete parts I've purchased from him. I just hope he is younger and healthier than me so that I don't lose him as a valuable supplier before I take my final "dirt nap".

I've also ordered from all of the places listed by Steve.

OLD Ken
    W4KJG

N3RYB, KB0MNM, KW4H and 1 other person like this.
  5. KW4H

KW4H Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ken, thanks for the link to RFParts. It’s now part of my collection. Looks very useful!!

6. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Merrit is good people. He’s happy to chat on the phone if you need help.

KW4H likes this.
  7. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

8. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Goldmine Electronic Products, division of Chaney Electronics
    https://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/

They buy surplus and obsolete inventory from Arizona and California sources.
    Weekly specials on new or over-stocks.

Example: Yaesu VX-400 Antenna (rubber ducky, 2 meter, SMA) : $1.99
    https://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/products.asp?dept=1474

Minimum Orders $10 (US and Canada), $50 (International).

Chaney Electronics
    P.O. Box 4116
    Scottsdale, AZ 85261
    Order by Phone - Toll Free 1-800-227-7312
    Monday - Friday, 8AM - 4PM Arizona time

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
  9. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

10. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

11. W4KJG

BRD -- I don't know how I missed that. I looked for a substitute and I didn't see any. Plus, Jameco has been one of my favorite vendors for many years. Way back when there were a lot of ham stores, lots of those stores had Jameco pegboards with lots of parts. I really miss that.

W9GB and KE4OH -- Thanks for those links. I was not aware of either of them.

K1LKP -- I have a at least a 60 year history of attending hamfests. I think it was in the late 1970s-early 1980s when I attended several with my pickup truck full of my collections. The loads probably exceeded the axel capacities. I gave a lot of it away for nearly nothing. For the most part I never regretted it. The only time I was a little disturbed was when I sold a large lot of NOS transmitting tubes like 4-xxx and 4-xxxx glass tubes and many ceramic 4CX-series. Most were Eimac. But, I really didn't want to haggle. He gave me some $ figure which I accepted. A few months later I saw their ads in 73 Magazine and Ham Radio Magazine where they were asking about 10x per tube for what I sold the entire lot. Oh well.

Having found forgotten or non-known suppliers you all have provided, may be costly for me.:eek:

I'm seeing things that I know are in my old equipment that I no longer have in my junk boxes (actually fairly organized in envelopes and in parts drawers).

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Ken
    W4KJG

12. KA9P

KA9P Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I almost hate to admit it, but I leave several searches running on EBay for stuff I need or think I'll need. Just last month, four very specific Millen coils and an odd audio interstage transformer I thought I'd never see popped up. Ebay will find some junk on those searches, and some stuff is pricey, but there's no down side.

N3RYB likes this.
  13. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes and no. Take a look at what they want for larger air variable caps. Your eyes will bug out if you're used to hamfest prices.

14. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I've attached my list of suplus parts vendors -- it may be a bit out of date, but maybe helpful:

Attached Files:

15. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Surplus Sales of Nebraska, Midwest Surplus, Golden Opportunities (eBay seller) and Electronic Surplus (Ohio) are a few others I've frequently used.