ad: Radclub22-1

Finding A Silent Key, If One Does Exist

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by K4SRF, Jul 5, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K4SRF

K4SRF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a unique task at hand, but first a little history as to why I feel compelled to take this task on.

My Grandfather, who passed away in 1995, served on a submarine during WWII and was the chief radio operator on his vessel. He was in is late 80's when he died, but even in his later years could translate CW like someone in the UN can translate other languages.

All during my life he pushed me to get my Ham Radio License, and to be honest, I tried. But, back in the day, when I was younger, I couldn't get past 8 wpm with Morse. I plateaued, got frustrated and gave up, but still he pushed it.

Well, here I am years later with my Extra ticket, (since CW is no longer a requirement.) Have I learned CW yet? Working on it, and this time I am not going to let my Grandfather's wishes down.

Anyway, I never saw, (that I can remember) any Ham radio equipment at his house, but he always spoke of being a Ham Radio operator.

My quest is to find out if my Grandfather actually had a call sign. I know, or at least I believe I know that any radio operator serving in the official capacity of a radio operator aboard any military vessel is not required by the FCC to possess an actual Ham Radio call sign. So, does anyone have any suggestion(s) as to how I might be able to research this? I have tried the National Silent Key Archive, (http://www.silentkeyhq.com/) and found you can search by call sign, but not by name.

Any help, or information encouraging or not would greatly be appreciated.

'73/Steve/K4SRF

2. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

His Name and addresses at least the State??

upload_2020-7-5_8-44-11.png

K1LKP, W1TRY and K4SRF like this.
  3. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

You could search the old callbooks at archive.org . They are searchable (individually) by name

K4SRF and K1LKP like this.
  4. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

HI STEVE,

THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR GRANDFATHERS SERVICE DURING WW 2.

======= WE SALUTE YOUR GRANDFATHER.

=============== 1 A SALUTING COLORFUL.jpg

==== radioman_logo_new (1).jpg
    radiomen world war 2.jpg

RESPECTFULLY,

K4SRF likes this.
  5. KX1W

KX1W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What was his name and address?