ad: M2Ant-1

Finally got my first HF antenna up!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KJ7UBV, Nov 24, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Great and I hope to work you soon.
    73 from,
    The K0UO "Rhombic Antenna Farm" 2 miles of wire, I'm In the Air or On the Air daily

2. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Those HF antennas fabricated outside, installed in sleet, snow and gale force winds seem to work a lot better than others ! Been-there-done-that :D
    If you ever get on CW, you may QSO me some late night on 40M.
    73...K8JD

KC7JNJ, N8RKD and W7TCT like this.
  3. K8DO

K8DO Ham Member QRZ Page

Good on ya, Paul. If you are hazy on tuning up an HF antenna for transmit ask one of the locals for help.
    Just a word of caution - not every ham on phone is helpful (or even pleasant - esp. 80m - and 7200 - and 14313) They come in all sizes and mental afflictions. Fear not, the other 99% of us are glad to have you aboard.
    Yup, an antenna put up with difficulty is worth 3 that went up easy peasy :D Yours should be a world shaker.

4. W7TCT

W7TCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wait. Admittedly, as an ex-USAF mobile radio guy (3rd Mob) and a ham only 4.5 years so a noob, I thought those were the only conditions suitable for setting up, tuning, and ensuring physical security. Gosh! Now you tell me.

5. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats!!! Get ready to work the world! :)

6. KJ7UBV

KJ7UBV Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The antenna seems to be working well. I made my first HF QSO on 40 meters this morning so I'm feeling all fat and happy with myself. :D:D I've listened in a couple nets as well which leads to another noob question. Is it just me, or do most stations sound off their call signs at the speed of a cattle auctioneer?? I'd only catch maybe 1/4 of the station IDs that I'd hear. :eek::)

WD5GWY and KP4SX like this.
  7. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Your antenna should have a significant amount of adversity gain. Congratulations!

8. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome to HF it's allot of fun.

I've had my share of injuries and mishaps working on antennas and most were due to my bad judgement. I just gotta get that antenna up today can create lot's of problems.

9. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

JEEVES01.jpg

WZ7U likes this.
  10. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Paul!

Don't worry about this: it will get easier with practice, and another thing about low band nets in particular: most of the folks there already know each other and can readily identify each other by voice alone. The call sign is important too, and legally necessary but a lot of these net folks are a community and they all know each other... For the most part.

You'll get the hang of it, just be patient!

73 Gary

KI5WW likes this.