ad: TiltPlate-1

Finally getting it right

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K1TGX, May 17, 2018 at 1:09 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. K1TGX

K1TGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When I was a teenager I used to climb my tower with no climbing belt of any kind - oh to be young and stupid. . .
    After I was married and started putting up antennae it eventually led to a tower. My wife knew I was looking for a climbing belt and at an old army surplus store found an all leather belt with leather lanyard. That was over 40 years ago.

Now that I have gained some small amount of wisdom (and caution) plus the fact that leather belts aren't even legal anymore I have moved on to the opposite end of the spectrum.

Today I received my full body harness with fall arrestor and butt rest seat so I can work in place while taking the load off my feet. Things have sure changed but I have to admit I feel a whole lot more confident in making the climb this weekend.

Trust me, its looks better on the dummy than me.

upload_2018-5-16_20-11-5.png

K9ASE, WQ2H, NH7RO and 3 others like this.
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What's the dummy's name?:)

3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

:eek:

He's taken, Steve!!

:D:D

Dave
    W7UUU

K9ASE, WD3N, NH7RO and 1 other person like this.
  4. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Isn't that harness just for dummy loads?

WD3N, WQ2H and W7UUU like this.
  5. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a decent harness for working. I have a very similar one (And 3 others).

Ed

6. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Make sure you have one of these attached to the sternum ring - at least one should be engaged at ALL times (regardless of what else you have).

Good luck !

YG32511.jpg

7. VE3WI

VE3WI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like a high quality harness. For fall protection , you should have a double shock absorbing lanyard. All modern harnesses have a D-ring in the back at the high center position. That's where your double fall arrest lanyard should be attached. Your back will thank you if you fall. And as the previous poster said, one of the dual fall arrest lanyards should be attached at all times - you alternate them when climbing and descending.

You also need a positioning lanyard. Pass this around the tower & clip to the seat D-rings to free your hands & give you a solid stance when working.

Have a safe climb.
    Dave, VE3WI

NH7RO likes this.
  8. K1TGX

Thanks for all the replies. I do have the fall arrestor lanyard and tower positioning lanyard as well as a chain lanyard for the 'seat' D rings. I do NOT have the double fall arrest lanyard. . . I may have wrongly assumed that I would simply move the fall arrest lanyard up above me as I climbed while the positioning lanyard held me to the tower. . . It sounds a lot safer to have a second lanyard attached to the sternum D ring. Why should that be a double tho?

btw this 'stuff' weighs a ton. I am sure it is going to slow my ascent

9. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Assuming you are not top-roped - I believe the intent is to always have at least 1 'redundant' fall arrest device in place. As you climb, and move them one-over-the-other up the tower you will always have at least one redundant connection. Presumably the positioners are just that - for positioning, not arrest protection.

It's been a while but I think OSHA 1910.140 indicates primary arrest system on the back, redundant arrest system on the front. Both should be as close to "shoulder level" as possible.

You'll look like a walking hardware store (belt AND suspenders), and it is an extra step with each rung - but I'm OK with that !

Once again - good luck !
    Jim, WQ2H

10. K1TGX

Thanks, I understand now - just ordered one