Finally a new POTA logging app!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5QBF, Apr 1, 2021.

ad: L-MFJ
  1. K5QBF

K5QBF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I started Parks on the Air back in November of 2020 and it has been a struggle to find a good electronic logging solution that I could use on my Ipad. I started with the pen and paper and after doing the work twice, once for the contacts and once to create the electronic log I started the hunt for something easier. They always say work smarter not hard right? I found an app in the app store called hamlog73 and downloaded it. It worked great for the first couple activations then the critters in the wires started to show up. I emailed the developer and soon found out he hadn't updated the app since 2018. Yesterday I saw a post in the POTA facebook group about a new app that had been launched, and man did he do a great job. The app is called HAMRS and it can be used as a generic simple desktop log or a portable log for things like Parks on the Air or Summits on the Air. Here is a quick run down of the app.

KM6YSS, KN4SMR, KB7GL and 7 others like this.
  2. W0RSD

W0RSD Ham Member QRZ Page

Can it be used on an I phone
    W0rsd

K5QBF likes this.
  3. K5QBF

K5QBF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes it can be used on a iPhone. Android devices are in beta testing.

KC7ZXY likes this.
  4. W0WTM

W0WTM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It works awesome on the iPhone

K5QBF likes this.
  5. N9EEE

N9EEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for sharing. I like the simplicity of this app and starting new logs for each activation. Does the call book require an internet connection? Does this app roll up the various logs into a master log?

K5QBF likes this.
  6. KJ7OG

KJ7OG Ham Member QRZ Page

Also, It might be useful for rovers and/or portable operations on contests (i.e. VHF contest, 10 Ghz contest, etc.). Then it will be easy to submit for contest scores.

K5QBF likes this.
  7. K9GLS

K9GLS Ham Member QRZ Page

AWESOME! Thanks for sharing this. Removes all my nervousness about POTA logging.

K0WLO and K5QBF like this.
  8. EA2XG

EA2XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have for portable use a 32 device and the app tells me only for 64. Is this true?

WA2AAW likes this.
  9. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Android users may try the free "VLS Logger"

It:
    works online (with international "HamQTH" call lookup)
    works offline
    Exports to: ADIF, CSV and Cabrillo
    Imports: ADIF
    Tracks your grid square and GPS parameters (good for mobile and portable)
    Tracks UTC time

I am not sure if there are any POTA-specific fields it lacks.

Good luck whichever portable log works for you. Hope to hear your call out there.

M7KWB likes this.
  10. KB0ICT

KB0ICT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey this is my app! Thanks again for posting about it. If anyone has suggestions or finds bugs, head on over to https://community.hamrs.app

K2BIT, KF5TJD, K0WLO and 13 others like this.