ad: Schulman-1

Final Band Plan Accepted today by the ARRL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5UAA, Jul 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Not going to happen unless you can get the ITU on board. See ITU Article 25 . The only group squawking for encrypted messages is the emcomm bunch, another dying function of amateur radio.

KX4O, W4POT, K0UO and 1 other person like this.
  2. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe people are misinterpreting the intent of the statement about providing emergency communications in Part 97.1. The intent isn't about the equipment that comes with licensed Amateurs, the intent is experienced radio operators that comes with getting licensed and using a radio.

Have you seen people with their first time operating a kids walkie-talkie or FRS radio? I've seen where they don't know enough to release the PTT after they are done talking. I've seen where they think that they can just cut someone off by pushing the PTT and the other can hear them. They don't know about how far they should be able to talk, what could be blocking a signal, how to set channels or PL tones. This is in the manual for the FRS radio but then someone that is experienced with FRS, CB, business band, airband, or other radios will pick up on a lot of this and this is a set of basic skills that will come in handy in emergency communications regardless of the radio service. Part 97 is to create a pool of people not a pool of radios. If people can show up with radios then that can help but it's the people that Part 97 is concerned about.

Where does Amateur radio come in then? If there's not enough people in the community, and you can size that community as you wish, then Amateur radio operators are there to fill in when the professional communicators are overwhelmed. There's still likely going to be professionals to guide any volunteers but if someone is a licensed Amateur then that relieves considerable burden on the professionals on getting someone up to speed on not just operating a radio but in making minor repairs to electronics.

Every little thing can help and most of the skills from Amateur radio translate directly to other radio services. Our radios may not have encryption but they don't have to. If the volunteer fire department needs people to help to coordinate paramedics, automobile traffic, and so on in an emergency then will you be able to step up to the dispatch radio and have at least some idea on what all the buttons and dials do and which way is up on the microphone? If that's all you got out of Amateur radio then you are miles ahead of most of the general public, and that makes you intensely valuable.

3. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe that it is nearly inevitable. There will be people that will try to spoof a message on radios and by signing them this issue disappears. With software defined radios adding some computing power to our radios it's nearly trivial to put in some kind of signature on digital text or voice. People may recognize a voice over a radio but text is text which makes spoofing easier. I believe K6BP gave an example of a signed control message to a repeater as an example on how this is valuable. The command is in the clear, the call sign is in the clear, and both are signed. If the signature matches, and the callsign is on the list of approved operators, then the repeater carries out the command. If no match then the command is ignored. There can be a time element to the signature to avoid replay attacks.

The point of Part 97 is not always for licensed Amateurs to bring their gear with them for emergency communications, it's the experience that they need to bring. If licensed Amateurs are going to be valuable as a pool of trained radio operators from which the military, public safety, and private industry can draw then licensed Amateurs need to have seen something similar to how the "pros" do things. So, perhaps, the "pros" rely solely on satellites for transferring images over great distances. If Amateurs know something about how this works before being called into doing things the same as how the pros do things then it's still a valuable experience. With more Amateur satellites this might not be as much of an issue since now Amateurs have greater access to experience satellite communications.

So long as the pros continue to use HF for transmitting images then Amateur radio should absolutely be able to do the same. Even then the matters of encouraging experimentation should leave this open.

4. K0IDT

No argument there, but that's not the way most amateur emcomm (we're communicators here to save the world when all else fails) is practiced. All disasters are local and require local solutions. If hams want to get serious about backing up local agencies / communities they need to get trained and certified to meet local requirements, not some national control and one size fits all cert program. Get out there and make the local connections, find out what the agency / community needs are and work towards those goals. Oh, and if you do get called out don't refuse to wash dishes in a shelter if asked :)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    K0UO and N1BCG like this.
  5. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

This does not seem like a "Final Band Plan," at all, especially if the ARRL's Board of Directors initiates a Petition to the FCC to try to get this into the regulations. That's where active, concerned licensees can challenge the unwarranted proposed set-aside for automated digital modes.

WB2PKR and (deleted member) like this.
  6. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

So far there's been five pages in this thread and no one is really supporting the ARRL proposal 100%.

On the new ARRL forums pages, there were hundreds, if not thousands of similar comments against adopting the major changes for Winlink and automatic stations. Just by voting for this new band plan, it absolutely proves that the Board doesn't listen to membership at all.

This is been hashed over for 15 years and these services are now outdated at this point anyway. Spectrum hogging automatic equipment is not needed in the amateur bands. I see now why so many people are not joining the League or have stopped leg or have stopped their membership.

At this point the board seems totally unresponsive to the Amateur service.

I don't disagree with some of the proposal, but throwing the Winlink crap in there is crazy. Technicians get a chance to operate voice on the HF lower frequencies and everybody else gets screwed by losing precious band space/ emissions and being interfered with by these Spectrum robbing services.
    Free email is not an enumerated purpose of amateur radio in Part 97.1, and its proliferation now threatens access to the entire DATA segments of the HF spectrum for legitimate narrowband use.

I hope Technicians will support the battle to keep Winlink and automatic stations off the amateur bands, in all fairness the League should have addressed this in two different proposals to the FCC, which they still could.

At least on QRZ we can agree to disagree!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    WK0DX, NQ1B and ND6M like this.
  7. K0IDT

The arrl is hoping all those Techs, primarily licensed for emcomm purposes, will join the club and embrace the new digital (Winlink) privileges in appreciation for the freebies. It's a membership drive plain and simple and doomed to
    failure like all the other initiatives that promised a flood of new innovation if implemented.

Former club member.......

ND6M and K0UO like this.
  8. NC4JB

NC4JB Ham Member QRZ Page

Reason #1,593 the ARRL will never get my money or my support.

9. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Just trying to think like a board member and what might be in the long term plans... but maybe...

I don't agree with this new band plan as it looks like it's trying to get rid of an "outdated mode" (CW). But maybe they're thinking when the WB/ACDS's start to overwhelm the existing ham bands, that might be the ammunition needed to effectively petition for other (more) parts of HF.

Sometimes, I start at 30 Khz on my receiver and spin the knob up to 57 Mhz or 63 Mhz (what ever the top of the receiver is in my IC-7410) and I see/hear a lot of dead air. I know it's all allocated for something or another, but if the ham community can show they've run out of frequencies and need more... well, I'm just thinking what the board might be thinking but not saying at this time...

They might be trying to reclaim the glory of the beginning of the ARRL when the QST's listed active relay stations across the U.S. (before we were assigned the "W" and "N" and "K" world-wide prefixes) in their QST issues and how fast a message could be relayed from coast to coast.

They could possibly start listing 24/7 gateways and relays of the ACDS's once again in QST across the US and once again claim how fast they can get an email with attachments across the US (if, God forbid, something catastrophic happens to the Internet).

I don't know. Probably not. Just trying to figure out the motivation(s). There's always some sort of motivation, obvious or not.

10. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

New members and....
    915F92B5-AC11-4BF1-898C-2EE8A77250B2.gif

WK0DX, K8PG, N1OOQ and 2 others like this.