Final Band Plan Accepted today by the ARRL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5UAA, Jul 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Ya, my second comment was going to be something to effect of, "Why continue trying to differentiate between the privileges of the remaining classes of Extra, Advanced and General? There's not much difference any more anyway."

Two classes left: Extra and Technician.

And Novices? Really? Give them a date it expires.

Edit: and make the bottom 25 Khz CW only?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    K0IDT and K0UO like this.
  2. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

April 1st part two?

K0UO and (deleted member) like this.
  3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

After all the comments against changing the lower part of the Extra class 80 meter phone band/ opposition was voiced by thousands of amateurs on numerous forums/ including the ARRL new discussion forums, That bunch of Outlaws on the ARRL Board went ahead and voted for Winlink/ which is a terribly abused and outdated system that has been discussed hundreds of times on numerous forms also.
    The Winlink system is abused by unlicensed foreign operator/boaters and even drug cartels/ which has been documented in the past. Now the ARRL Awards Winlink for bad behavior.

They even took the slow speed 40 meter old slow speed CW novice band segment and gave it to those damn people. That in itself is a complete disgrace for the League and a slap in the face to all CW operators.

They're giving that to wideband automatic control digital stations, we're about 30 years behind, digital should be narrowband and utilize our Spectrum properly/ The League should be promoting technology advancements. Instead they sell out to Winlink.

So much for incentive licensing, the Extra class operators now lose 80 meter SSB privileges.

With all the crap that's been going on with the ARRL over the last few years this just about tops it.

I wish I could sell them back my Life membership!!
    Maybe the FCC will have some wisdom.
    The FCC in tha past forced cellular to go from analog to digital to utilize the spectrum better/ they also forced Broadcast television to do the same.

I wish it was April 1st!

N3FAA, WQ4G, KL7MA and 2 others like this.
  4. KD4ZFS

KD4ZFS Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not at all clear to me, but it DOES seem to be as ND6M says:
    Taking away pieces of the band from normal operation will NOT be popular. I'm primarily a CW op, and it looks like they've taken some of my favorite parts of the CW bands. As K0UO notes, it does feel like a slap in the face.

My personal preference is always for greater simplicity, but this new plan seems more complex than ever.

We can't change it. I guess we have to accept it. "So it goes."

K0UO and N3FAA like this.
  5. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

CW is not being taken away from any section of the band.

WD4IGX, AC0GT and AG6QR like this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Has this plan been adopted and approved by the FCC?

I missed that part...

Dave
    W7UUU

WD4IGX, NQ1B, N4NYK and 2 others like this.
  7. KD4ZFS

Then why do the dark-blue sections of the band plan say "All ACDS"? Doesn't that imply that ONLY remote-controlled stations are allowed?

Maybe I'm reading this the wrong way. Apologies if (as usual) I misunderstood.

K0UO likes this.
  8. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

The first note says this:

"CW operation is permitted throughout all amateur bands"

NY6P, WQ4G, K3XR and 3 others like this.
  9. KD4ZFS

Thanks!

And my apologies for not understanding.

WD4IGX and NY6P like this.
  10. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

CW is allowed anywhere, anywhere including the phone bands. The problems will come when the usual cw occupants of the proposed ACDS segments get flattened by a deaf, dumb, and totally clueless slug that has to get his email
    and lights up a gateway on top of an existing QSO. You should know that cw signals, or any signals for that matter, are only there to block the gateway and since the frequency is published cw shouldn't operate there anyway. Winlink excuse # 101, 102, 103 for crushing your QSO, and more that I can't think of right off hand. Also one of those excuses is a direct quote from the Winlink sysadmin. Try asking the arrl for help when it happens to you, on second thought
    maybe not.

N3FAA, WQ4G, NK8I and 6 others like this.