Filmmakers need assistance in Colorado area

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WT1J, Feb 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. WT1J

WT1J Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all,

My callsign is WT1J. I'm a filmmaker. We are working on a film where one of the main characters is a ham. A large yagi antenna forms an important part of the story. We're looking for a location to shoot several scenes. Our requirements are:
    • Need a very large antenna on a tall mast.
    • The mast should be climbable. We have several scenes with a character up on the mast working on something.
    • Preferably a view of the rockies in the background.
    • Needs to be near a house. Ideal situation is the antenna is near a house with a porch in a rural area.
    • I'm concerned for the safety of our talent and crew, and so I'm looking for a mast that ideally has a ladder and a harness system that we can use. The more robust, and safe, the better. I'm guessing larger antennas will generally have more sturdy masts, but I've never owned a large yagi so I don't really know what I'm talking about.
    We would need assistance from the antenna owner to film in the area for several days both on and around the antenna and on the porch - if that's available.

Some info on me and the project:

I run a software company and I make films. I'm quite technical and have been a member of the ham community since 2013. I've built my own dipoles and mostly operate on HF 20 and 40 meters along with some VHF work on repeaters. I move around a fair amount so you may have chatted with me when I was based on Peaks Island in Maine or in Colorado or Seattle. I made a ton of contacts from the IOTA folks when on Peaks.

The film we're working on is narrative (a story, as opposed to a documentary). It is a feelgood story about a ham helping their community and mentoring a young person as they work through teenage challenges. I'm the writer and director. The film is fully funded and we have a small team working on the project.

Any advice from the community would be much appreciated. I'm currently in the Denver area - actually in Elbert County and our studio is in Littleton. So if you're in the area and have a great location or can recommend one it may be possible to meet.

Thanks all. 73.

Mark Maunder - WT1J.
    mmaunder at gmail.

N0TZU, KA0HCP and WZ7U like this.
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe contact K0RF in Longmont.

AI7PM and N0TZU like this.
  3. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

While I am in Colorado, I don't have something that meets your needs, but I bet something will turn up pretty quickly. I can forward this message on to one of the local clubs here in Colorado Springs if you like.

Steve
    KV6O

4. WT1J

WT1J Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you WB2WIK, I've contacted K0RF via email. I did a bit of research on him and really unfortunate story about the fire that affected his house.

Thank you Steve (KV6O), I would really appreciate you reaching out to the clubs in Springs.

Regards,

Mark.

5. WB2WIK

Yes, the whole ham radio DXing and contesting community knows all about that. But he's evidently rebuilt, as he's back on the air now with a very "big signal."

I have not visited but assume he has towers. His station was just on the air in recent HF contests.

6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So I suppose with have a "Maunder Cinema" if not a Maunder Minimum! ;)

7. WT1J

WT1J Ham Member QRZ Page

lol! Yeah the one ancestor that became famous. Maunder minimum.

I just chatted with Chuck and what a nice guy. We're meeting tomorrow morning. Thank you very much all who helped!!

Regards,

Mark.

8. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Longmont would be a great place to get views of the Rockies with Long's Peak and the Flatirons. I don't think it gets much more iconic than that.

WZ7U likes this.
  9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It is cool that you still use film. :cool:

upload_2020-2-18_18-22-54.jpeg

10. WB2WIK

Chuck's also a great operator.

I'd bet he's in his 70s by now and may not do much tower climbing anymore, but maybe he does (I don't know).

In any case, have fun and let us know where we can view the results when it's out of post!