ad: elecraft

Field Testing Portable Vertical Antennas for Ham Radio!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5KV, Aug 20, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W5KV

W5KV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Please join me, N5CFB, & KG5PWA as we field test (more like have fun with!) some portable antenna solutions for Vertical Antennas.

Antennas in use:

N5CFB Homebrew 80m Coil & Buddistick vertical system (elevated w/ one counterpoise @ 66') - 100w

&

Wolf River Coil w/ MFJ-1979 (ground mounted w/ 3 radials @ 33') - QRP

Interesting results with QRP vs Barefoot with recent band condx, qrp wasn't able to get through unfortunately, but it was a learning experience nonetheless!

Shout out to the N5OAK crew for helping us with our test!

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

You all live in a nice location. :cool:

W5KV likes this.
  3. W5KV

Austin is indeed a nice location! It's a perfect mix of city & country around here.

on a side note..

Beautiful loop antennas Matt.... I hope to experiment with an active loop soon!

KK5JY likes this.
  4. ZL1PDT

ZL1PDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, are you gys not going to wright up a bit on the findings vidio is bit short jump here and then there ,
    Thanks, Pieter

5. W5KV

Hi Pieter,

No white paper this go around. I'll be sure to collect more data from future antenna comparisons by transmitting with my WSPR beacons. Already planning my next comparison - Ground Mounted Vertical vs. Inverted V Dipole.

I think we were having more fun with this comparison than anything!

Thanks,

Johnny

6. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I love Elecraft, but with band condx as they are, I sold off the KX2 for a 100w portable radio, and a 10Ah Lifepo4 battery that will push 100w for 60 seconds at a time. I usually run around 40-75w with it, but having extra power sure makes a difference.

With Lifepo4 being so small and light, there is far less reason to worry so much about having a radio that sips power. This battery will last me several hours, if I am at 15-40w transmit, or so. And I can still up it, when needed. A full 100w, 350-400m up a small mountain, is a nice thing. Portable 2-el Moxon is almost finished, so I will have a beam up there, too.

Thanks for the video. I don't work 80m, but a vertical dipole works very well for me on 20m and higher.

W5KV likes this.
  7. KM4DYX

KM4DYX Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice video. Thanks for posting. I also enjoy this sort of mini "shoot out" comparison in my back yard. Rather than rely on the vagaries of calling CQ I use the Winlink email system to link with a particular station. Various antenna configurations are easily compared in a short period of time. Repeated over time these comparisons will give me a good indication of what works, and what works better.

Looking forward to more videos.

Al

W5KV and KE0EYJ like this.
  8. SA3BOW

SA3BOW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice seeing hams having fun testing antennas together!
    But to really compare antennas take more than a fun time. Antennas couple to other antennas
    and what not. And there was plenty of antennas close to each other and even more "what not".
    So no indisputable conclusions can be made with this set up except handiness and the fun part.
    Having fun with friends made this day well spent just the same in my book. :)
    Dejan
    de SA3BOW

W5KV likes this.
  9. K6BNE

K6BNE Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow great video!!!! de K6BNE

W5KV likes this.