ad: Radclub22-1

Field Testing Chameleon MPAS & CHA SPIKE First QSO with Russia

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI6TRA, Jun 1, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. NQ5M

NQ5M Ham Member QRZ Page

I've worked several sites in the Caribbean from Oklahoma with MPAS on the Chameleon tripod, right smack in the middle of a neighborhood on 10 watts SSB. Hell, I've worked France and a few other sites in the EU with the MPAS configured as a sloping wire antenna on 10 watts SSB.

Chameleon has answered questions -- even on the weekends -- via e-mail, much to my surprise.

I invested in the Chameleon MPAS (and MIL-EXT & CHA CAP-HAT) based on how Julian showed the product in his videos. The product and support has exceeded my expectations.

Danny, if your business plan is bad mouth folks posting positive review of competing products.... well, good luck with your pathetically short future. Based on your response here, I've added you to the list of folks I won't do business with.

OLDARCHER likes this.
  2. E73M

E73M Ham Member QRZ Page

I am sure you are a nice guy but you totally missed the point.

Same applies to KI6TRA who think that he "got me owned". I gave a good advice how to improve his modeled 16% efficiency but I am seen as an"enemy" of Chameleon.
    I am not worried about my antenna business at all, it keeps growing from month to month and I do not see Chameleon as my competitor. I see it as a business with substandard antenna designs aimed to very narrow HAM population. Well, nothing is wrong with that as long it makes people like you happy.

Good luck with videos, I am actually impressed with the quality of production.

Ah, name is Daniel, Danny Horvat, E73M
    www.e73m.com

3. E73M

E73M Ham Member QRZ Page

Again, not competing with Chameleon and not bad mouthing, just have my opinion based on facts.

Why can't you accept my right to response and express myself without attacking my business and putting me on your "black" list?

What did I say wrong?

1. Chameleon and Alpha antennas use intentionally lossy transformer to mask "SWR" and present that as "good" feature while they both took the design from well known Comet- CHA-250 vertical antenna. Contrary to them, COMET publicly said that antenna is a compromise based on very high loss ( Google VK5ZD and G8JNJ for analysis of transformer) which present low SWR from 1-54MHz.
    BTW they are not first, ICOM had similar antenna aimed for commercial use and I had one almost 30 years ago and concluded that it is dummy load in the box.

2. Single wire counterpoise on the ground is another way to mask the SWR since losses are increased and a lot of energy is being dumped into the ground instead of into vertical antenna.

I can analyze all of their products pointing the bad designs, others already did that but obviously, they do not want to waste their time like me arguing with HAMs whose main argument is:" I made a contact with 10W to France"!

Well, there is an article in QST 2001 by N6BT who used an ordinary 100W bulb at fence post fed with 100W and made contact with Africa from California, WOW

Also, the other day a guy from Colorado made a contact to Florida with his "dummy load " sitting on the table.

Why can't you and many other HAMs accept the fact that good antenna is not always the one you are able to make a contact with?

Danny

AD5KO likes this.
  4. E73M

E73M Ham Member QRZ Page

Seriously, you have DATA to argue that?

Common, do you really see my post as one from "vendor" being threatened by other " vendor"?

I am building and designing antennas for decades and my designs are being sold every day by many vendors including commercial ones. I do not need to wait for others HAMSs to say whether my antennas are good or bad, especially not from one who compares all antennas bought on eBay without any real data for comparison.

Again, FREE SPEECH is all I excersise backed by facts same as you by choosing of being on someone's mailing list or not.

Enjoy the hobby...

P.S. BTW if you do not like the antenna you bought from me three months ago, you can return it anytime for full a refund I'll even pay shipping.

AD5KO likes this.
  5. E73M

E73M Ham Member QRZ Page

Really, are you sure you understand the point of the Spanish HAM EA4FSI in his modeling exercise?

How does this compare to Chameleon vertical?

He modeled full size vertical over the perfect ground with single radial at 0.01wl above ground and got only 16% efficiency.
    Yes, only 16W being radiated out of 100W in this case.
    Front to back ( better said skewed pattern) of 4.6db into one side you are trying to present as "directivity " of counterpoise wire. :) Really?

When we add losses in Chameleon transformer, which can easily reach 3dB or more depending on terminating load of the vertical element the efficiency is way below 10%!

Are you guys sure that "I got owned"?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    AD5KO likes this.
  6. K4ECD

K4ECD Ham Member QRZ Page

The antenna is fine. What is disappointing is your bashing of your competitor. I honestly thought you'd of just let it end there....
    Spewing off to discredit others, while promoting your own simply does not read well.
    Read your own post. As company owner, you should have taken the high road.

Your antenna is just fine, and I credit your work publicly - I don't have time to play chess - returning it will only give you the ability say I'm not a customer.

Antenna Retailer in 2017: "I do not need to wait for others HAMSs to say whether my antennas are good or bad, especially not from one who compares all antennas bought on eBay without any real data for comparison."

God speed

OLDARCHER likes this.
  7. E73M

E73M Ham Member QRZ Page

I do not have competitor since we do not sell same products, not even close, therefore your opinion that I as a business owner have no right to comment other antennas is just wrong. I spoke my mind and always do, not spewing anything but facts. I do not share your views about my offer to return my products. I will do that to anyone who is not satisfied or finds my products not performing up to their expectations.

BTW I am not antenna retailer, I am antenna designer but you can call me "pot" but will not let you "break" me.

Same speed to you too...

8. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Danny, I'm fairly certain we all understood perfectly. Let's break it down.
    • You consider evey Chameleon Antenna owner an idiot because they have not chosen your broadband antenna.
    • You called me a "Product Wh0re" because I make videos about Chameleon (and other) products.
    • You insinuated my blog and videos are profit driven tools or clickbait whose only goal is to generate revenue.
    • Someone shared my blog/video here without me knowing, and you accuse me (the video presenter) of being paid by Chameleon.
    • You attacked me on a personal level saying I contribute to the Dumbing down of ham radio, while I presented a POV presentation for one of many products or tools. Presentations helping operators to decide if something is useful for them or not.
    • You ignore my contributions in support of dozens of other smaller amateur radio content creators, pushing me off as a profit-driven pr0stitute.
    I think that about sums it up. I mean it's written there in your first post, and you can't delete it now!
    Look I'm a no-nonsense kind of guy. I don't care what company you choose to attack or how you choose to self promote your own products. All I care about is you don't attack people on a personal level while you are self promotin.

I learned right here at qrz not to "present" a product, but to show operators how I'm using it, or what utility a product provides. That was a hard but necessary lesson.
    Your approach attacks Chameleon, insults the video presenter, and leaves you looking like an arrogant poopoo head. Unfortunately for you, nobody likes a bully. Not even a competent one who works/worked for Cushcraft.
    Eventually you're going to understand that your very first response should have been an apology for attacking me on a personal level. That would have been the best marketing for your antenna. Then I would have said "hey no hard feelings, why don't you send me one and I'll make you a nice test video". Instead, you just bury yourself deeper calling Chameleon products and customers "narrow" while holding on to your own arrogance.

Good luck with that.
    Julian

OLDARCHER and KD8AQT like this.
  9. W4FJT

W4FJT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Julian,

Have you tried elevating the antenna and counterpoise? My experience with the Buddistick is that elevating the feed point to about 6 feet and sloping the counterpoise from there to about 3 feet off the ground at the end works well. Forms a "lazy L dipole.

I enjoy your videos on Youtube. Keep it up.

OLDARCHER, OH8STN and K4ECD like this.
  10. E73M

E73M Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, a lot of anger and bad words used to impute me what I was trying to convey in my initial post.
    NO, you are not whore nor prostitute and Chameleon users are NOT "Narrow", I meant narrowHAM market, meaning not representing a wast majority of HAM radio population.

On the other hand, you personally attacking me with qualifications of being a bully, poopoo head, arrogant, self-promoting etc.
    That is fine...

I have just found that

KI6TRA, Carl Lavoie
    Chameleon Antenna Founder & Owner
    (info from Chameleon antenna blog)

is an original poster of your video and many other self-promoting posts here on QRZ as well as s many on eHam.net
    but somehow you calling me self-promotor.
    That is fine too...

I am sorry if I offended you in any way you see it...keep up good work with your videos, it was the content I objected to, not you personally.

Good luck!

AD5KO likes this.
  11. OH8STN

Thanks.
    I haven't tried that yet, but I'm certainly willing to have a go. I've got 2x wsprlites here now, to do parallel comparisons of unique configurations.
    If only winter would go away :)
    Julian

OLDARCHER and W4FJT like this.
  12. SGO1

SGO1 QRZ Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OLDARCHER likes this.
  13. OH8STN

I accept your apology.

I've also called out Chameleon many times for the posting practises, both privately and publicly. Still, I see no problem with you or any other manufacturer posting a video from an unaffiliated operator to your own news thread. If fact I believe it offers credibility to a product over the quality of the "typical" eham review.

The anger, absolutely! I hate ham radio manufacturers bashing each other! It drives new blood away. No matter how right or wrong one is, most operators are turned off by the bashing.

Julian

OLDARCHER likes this.
  14. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have a problem with a regular ham buying a product from a retailer and doing an honest (and well-written / well-produced) review. However, I do have an issue with bloggers / vloggers getting free gear from the manufacturer in exchange for a glowing review. Not saying this is the case here, but I don't recall seeing reviews on other products from the same sources.

And I certainly don't care for these videos popping up on every forum around the same time -- posted by the same people.

AD5KO likes this.
  15. SGO1

SGO1 QRZ Member

Oh really!?!?! Let me help you out a little here. If this is what you think about OH8STN then you definitively haven't read the entire thread and haven't watched any of his videos.

A little research might help next time. But nice try BTW!

MP1 MP1DXMAX

Mini60 SARK100

ZLP MiniProSC

FLDigi MiniProSC

Alpha EZ Antenna Multiband vs Chameleon MPAS Comparison

OLDARCHER likes this.