Field Day

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KF9VV, Jun 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KF9VV

KF9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

I am going to give it a try this year.

Set up is now all debugged. Porta Paddle > Logitek K3 > 40M QCX > RV roof mounted Buddistick and a 40M inverted V. Got the park scoped out, found the right tree for the V. Plan is to try and fill two paper log sheets and then transition to killing cold 807's in the RV. XYL is looking forward to hanging in the park and grilling up the evening chow and helping killing 807s.

The real game for me is to see how fast I can fill the log sheets.

Anyone else giving it a whirl?

K9ASE and K7WFM like this.
  2. K5VZD

K5VZD Ham Member QRZ Page

planning on it.. depends a lot on the storm predictions..qrp with the trusty k1 and k2.. and solar power..

3. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

i bought 500' of 16 gauge yesterday.
    i suppose i should do something with it!
    gonna make a spread of radials for my buddistick. it came with 1 wire, but
    for fd i don't want to fuss with re-tuning it (except moving the lead up/down on the coil to
    pre-determined band spots) when i change bands.

i'll have my alpha mag loop standing by.

gonna cruise the novice/tech part of 10m for newfers or re-activators. probably gonna
    be vewy, vewy quiet.

W1TRY and KC8VWM like this.
  4. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

With that amount of wire and maybe no trees to tie off to?.......Why not get a cheap painter's pole from Home Depot, make two dipoles and install the two dipoles in an "X" fan configuration? Make one for 20 meter and one for 40 meters. The two dipoles, feed point on the top of the painter's pole and run one dipole, let's say N/S and the other E/W. As inverted Vee the dipoles also act as guy wires for the painter's pole. If needed, have someone help you while you trim each antenna to the center of each band. No tuner should be needed and, if you like, you can even use the same common feed point for both antennas. Now no antenna switch is needed.

Put that 500 feet of wire to good use. You'll have a much better system for FD. It's a tad more work, but once you do it one time, you'll learn the short cuts and have a nice simple setup that you can use for many years of FD or portable operation.

Here's our back yard field day.

http://www.ku3x.net/p

Good luck with your field day.
    Barry, KU3X

KU4X, NB3R, KC8VWM and 1 other person like this.
  5. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds nice.
    I'm planning on setting up in our backyard using (hopefully) a new FT818, if it arrives in time, and a Wolf River TIA vertical. Running from a solar charged 35AH battery. If the new rig doesn't make it here by Saturday, I will be using FT891 turned all the way down with the same antenna.

Enjoy your camping trip.

KC8VWM likes this.
  6. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Heck with that much wire make a big delta loop! ;-)

KU4X likes this.
  7. W4ZNG

W4ZNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Camping and mountain bike racing with buddies this weekend... but I do believe that I can squeeze in a little time to operate the 817nd on Saturday evening.

8. K4AYD

K4AYD Ham Member QRZ Page

Operating 1E from home with my generators. Will be the first time I've done it alone. I'm just curious how many contacts I can make by myself as long as I can go. Not even interested in submitting a log to ARRL.

N8AFT likes this.
  9. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, nice pics and portable antennas. :)

10. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I might get on later tonight. Got too much life to do today.

N8AFT likes this.