Field Day

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AE4FA, Jun 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KB1JCY

KB1JCY Ham Member QRZ Page

I was trying to get some friends together for an ad-hoc Field Day but it's not working out. I'll end up with the BARC.

2. K3STX

K3STX Ham Member QRZ Page

Field Day isn't really a contest guys, it is a test of our ability to improvise. I for one plan to operate my small CW QRP rig in my backyard inside a tent.

I think it our obligation to at least make an attempt to see if we can communicate in a pinch. After 9/11,the DC Anthrax scare, the DC Sniper, and last summers hurricane all occurring in my neighborhood in the past few years, I have been more and more concerned about the world coming to an end.

paul

3. KB1JCY

KB1JCY Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K3STX @ June 03 2004,05:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Field Day isn't really a contest guys, it is a test of our ability to improvise. I for one plan to operate my small CW QRP rig in my backyard inside a tent.

I think it our obligation to at least make an attempt to see if we can communicate in a pinch. After 9/11,the DC Anthrax scare, the DC Sniper, and last summers hurricane all occurring in my neighborhood in the past few years, I have been more and more concerned about the world coming to an end.

paul[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    This too is my philosophy.

Note to new hams:

Before you show up to your first FD, ask the club hosting the event how they approach Field Day. There are clubs that are serious about the contesting element and that might not be an ideal match. Yes, they'll run a Get On The Air station but you pretty much will be abandoned while they gun for points at other stations. Their focus is on winning, not elmering new hams. I clearly remember last year the control op leaving us Techs in the trailer by ourselves while he went off to work some QRP.

It's probably better to find a club that is more laid-back and focused on elmering until you have a feel for contesting.

4. N0OV

N0OV Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K3STX @ June 02 2004,11:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Field Day isn't really a contest guys, it is a test of our ability to improvise. I for one plan to operate my small CW QRP rig in my backyard inside a tent.

paul[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I agree the original intent of field day was not for it to become a contest, however, if it looks like a contest and feels like a contest..........................

To reinforce your point, in an actual wide scale emergency Amateur Radio operators are going to be faced with two challenges.

1) How to set up your requipment so you can make contacts when conditions are not the best.

2) How to operate in bands that will be jammed with other traffic; folks relaying messages, asking for help, etc.

If you look at it from this perspective, field day is way more than any contest -- it is something that can challenge your skills and help you learn how to do what we love more effectively under less than optimum conditions.

After all, it's better to have some lessons learned with some laughs vs learning the hardway during an actual emergency.

Good observation -- good luck!

5. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like a good day to work on my amplifier.

OR

Finish off that bottle of J&amp;B sitting on the kitchen counter.

... But not both

Actually, I'll probably give some of our locals a couple of contacts for their scores.

Ed

6. N0OV

N0OV Guest

Vacation day for me -- wine coolers on the beach!

Love setting up the equipment but my idea of radio fun extends a little pass swapping signal reports or &quot;6A&quot;

[​IMG]

If you have never participated in field day -- find one, get there and have some fun. You can learn loads of info on setup, see a variety of radios and even make a few contacts.

Loads of fun!

7. W5LDA

W5LDA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll be on my nearest high hill working 6m and 2m ssb mobile,,Ya never know i might even hear someone!

Larry kd5vsg

8. KY5U

KY5U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

qb,

Cool on the vacation!   I was at Mt. Rushmore when Niel Armstrong took his first step onto the moon in 1969. What a memory.  Had a portable TV set up on the roof of the car in the parking lot in full view of Mt. Rushmore.

Not so dramatic this year for FD.  Will be helping out the local ARC in the CW position.  They set up at the Naval Air Station Campground right on the Bay in Pensacola.  Great location and great view. Listen for W4UC on the air.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.