Field day type antenna

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by WB0JYF, Jun 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WB0JYF

WB0JYF Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a kenwood TS-820s, with matching tuner. I am going to the "high country" of east Oregon in a couple of weeks.....What can I do best with a hunk of wire, a 4000 foot moutain, 120 VAC available, and a lot of tall trees [​IMG]?? I know how get the wire up, but are there any ideas on how to feed the darn thing? Haven't been there yet, so I don't know the distance between trees, or the other variables.
    I guess what I am asking is what do I need to be prepared for.

2. KD7KOY

KD7KOY Ham Member QRZ Page

I use 130' wire fed with ladder line. 300 ohm "TV" line at radio shack works good to. Of course you have to use a tuner.
    Use 1 1/4" PVC TEE and end caps for the antenna head. Drill 1/8" holes for ladder line wire to pass through.
    Use eye bolts for the wire and the rope to haul it up to the tree or whatever.
    Drill 1/4" holes for the ends for your wire and use small diameter nylon rope to tie it off..
    I'm from Oregon. Eastern Oregon is mostly plains and desert. Lots of high country, valleys etc. Very dry.  Depending where you go most of it is scrub oak. Some pine. Pine gets bigger toward the Idaho border.
    Used to do some placer gold prospecting out there. Mostly Baker City and the Burnt River area. Lots of rattlers..Shake your bedroll out before you crash or you may find your have company.: )
    Still have the old dredge piles from when the Chinese were used to haul the ore. Cool path made by the Chinese on the side of the mountain down by Burnt River. Lost Blue Bucket Mine out there too if you get lucky..Another place called Glass Butt. Known for obsiden glass and "Thunder Eggs" if you like collecting rocks.(Sorry, just remembering..lol)
    Just some precautions:
    Suggest you take plenty of water. Very dry this time of year.
    Tell someone where your at. Big country. Get lost (easy to do there.) or injured be a long time before someone finds you.
    Stay out of the caves and mines. They're unstable.
    Some areas are considered sacred ground to the local tribes. Like our churches. Repsect that.
    Bigfoot has the right of way on all trails. : )

Rough country but nice. Been thinking of making a run out there myself.

I can send you a drawing of the dipole if you want.
    josuha@charter.net

Good luck..

3. W5ATX

W5ATX Guest

You say you have the "matching" tuner for the 820. If that means you have the Kenwood tuner that looks nice next to the 820 (I can't remember the name after all these years, sorry), that tuner does not have a balanced output. If you choose the suggestion of KD7KOY - and I would - you'll need a balun for use with the balanced feedline.

I understand "Radioworks" is still around, though I have no contact info. They used to make outstanding baluns for just this usage. You would use no more than a few feet of coax from the coax output SO239 on the back of that tuner to the balun, then connect your open wire/twinlead feeder to the balun. It will work very well on all bands as long as the antenna is at least a half wavelength long on the lowest band you use. Shorter than that and you're on your own. That and feed it in the center. That will make the whole thing balanced and will increase your system efficiency dramatically, as the the feedline won't radiate. Unlike coax, open wire/twinlead won't radiate even with a crazy mismatch at the feedpoint of the antenna as long as the antenna is electrically balanced. That's what makes it so great for multiband antennas.

Good luck,

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.