Field Day Safety Officer - covid precautions

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by K2WPM, Jun 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Now, back to Field Day....

2. KM4FVI

KM4FVI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Time is a beautiful thing and time will show us who’s right; who’s wrong on this issue! With a 99.6% survival rate and an emergency vaccine that has no accountability; I’ll wait this one out…..

Now let’s eat and play radio…..

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    PU2OZT and N5XH like this.
  3. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, quite so.
    Best estimate I can find quickly is that 33-million Americans have contracted COVID19 -- about 10% of the population.
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/index.html
    Hence the need to vaccinate at the very least 60% to achieve herd immunity.
    ;)

4. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[QUOTE="KM4FVI, post: 5889426, member: 713763" With a 99.6% survival rate...[/QUOTE]

Not for everyone.
    That overall high survival rate is skewed by extremely low mortality among the very young and early-middle-aged.
    Older folks (did I hear someone say most hams?) are at very high risk of serious illness, hospitalization and death.

[​IMG]

https://www.acsh.org/news/2020/06/23/coronavirus-covid-deaths-us-age-race-14863

5. KM4FVI

KM4FVI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The CDC data in my opinion is skewed and most other data sources due to political influences. Too many folks have came forth and said their family members died from ALS or the like and their death certificate said Covid-19 was the cause. I had a nurse tell me the same thing a couple of weeks ago.

Time will tell but I’m starting to see data coming from other countries that tell a different story like the British Airways’ pilots; three died last week from the vaccine. Since most of their pilots received the shot last week now they are faced with grounding their fleet from the lack of unaffected pilots. The MSM will not carry this story or will water it down for political reasons!

Again, time will tell this story…

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    K8BZ, N8AFT and PU2OZT like this.
  6. KY4SLR

KY4SLR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You Sir, are the Voice of Reason in the semi-post Covid vs Pre - Delta Variant world. Too many people / groups are demanding that we, as a country, adopt a carry card for our vaccination, to grant access to almost everything we took for granted 18 months ago!. I'm not on either side, but I understand BOTH sides and their issues. Like you, my opinion is my opinion and like your card my opinion is filed away for MY use.

Plus, 'being outside' in an emergency situation set up or scenario is how FD was originally explained to me.

I get that the gear needs to be in a tent or under an awning, but a good fan should circulate air enough there to move the little covid buggers away IMO. And no, I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV, but I did study a little about air flow over the years.

I'd hate to see this covid (enter slang term for fecal matter here...) split up the Ham Community the way it has other things. Many of us are affiliated with emergency response agencies to help the general (non HAM operator) populace. If we split into warring tribes over this political and medical football , HowTH will we remain effective as a force or community dedicated to emergency response?

KK9W likes this.
  7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

My thoughts are that if I were that paranoid about contracting the CC virus as a result of Field Day participation I would just skip it this year.

N8AFT likes this.
  8. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

OP is spot on.

I have withdrawn all of my involvement with more than one group over the whole COVID issue. I got tired of being questioned of my vaccine status, which version of vaccine and if I had the 2nd shot over and over again. All while being spoon fed opinions of what I should and shouldn't do while others enjoyed pontificating their actions. I simply wished to keep my views, opinion and health care info private.

I refuse to be badgered or interrogated over something that is my business. At the same time I didn't wish to hear everyone else's opinions or healthcare information either. I certainly didn't ask for it and an hour of every meeting seemed to be devoted to such discussion. Count me out.

N8AFT, KD1W and PU2OZT like this.
  9. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That is not true and several sites have fact-checked that claim. It comes from a twitter post claiming the pilots died after a vaccination but British Airways itself has said the deaths were not linked in any way. There are several reports of a few pilots dying of COVID.

https://fullfact.org/online/british-airways-pilot-vaccine/

KS2G likes this.
  10. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Another source debunking that claim about vaccines and British Airways pilots dying.

https://www.reuters.com/article/fac...vernment-over-vaccinated-pilots-idUSL2N2NZ1ZO

KS2G likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.