Field Day Safety Officer - covid precautions

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by K2WPM, Jun 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Do what you wish.
    But, as John Adams said:
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

And, no, I did not parrot something I heard on CNN.
    The link I provided is from a radio station in Florida that's been broadcasting the Rush Limbaugh Show for more than 20 years.
    ;)

2. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

Had the WU-FLU, flu symptoms for 6 days, slight fatigue for
    a few days after. Nothing even close to needing medical attention.
    I will rely on my own immune system, so absolutely no shot for me.

Herd immunity is all but here, very few masks worn here for
    weeks and weeks, and cases are not even reported anymore.

PU2OZT and N5AF like this.
  3. KS2G

Oh, really?
    Conventional wisdom is that herd immunity requires 70-80% of population to be vaccinated.

Where you are...
    "In Texas, 13,587,030 people or 46% of the state has received at least one dose.
    Overall, 11,331,694 people or 39% of Texas's population has been fully vaccinated."

https://usafacts.org/visualizations/covid-vaccine-tracker-states/state/texas

Appears that there's still quite a ways to go.
    ;)

4. N5AF

N5AF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"usafacts" doesn't quite give all the facts.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations

Texas is showing at 56% (one dose) and 47% (two dose) ages 12+ as of this writing.

Age 65+ are at 81% and 72%.

https://tinyl.io/4JGk

Usafacts.org needs to update their facts. ;)

K8BZ likes this.
  5. KS2G

6. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not strictly true - herd immunity requires 70-80% of the population to have immunity - which can be due to either vaccination or natural exposure to the virus. I have not been following the statistics in the US, but round here we went for months with thousands of new infections per day - we've vaccinated about 80% of the adult population here (42 million) but the researchers estimate that 10 million or more have had the virus. My wife and I did - pretty much a nasty case of flu that takes an unusually long time to go away...

Vaccination has only been around for a couple of hundred years - prior to that, viruses didn't run wild continually - they came in waves then more or less disappeared for a generation until there was a large enough body of young people around who had not been alive during the previous wave...

Martin (G8FXC)

PU2OZT likes this.
  7. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm convinced the "news" media will keep this malady propped up and active looooong after this man-made problem has passed... Fear equals TV / Internet rating$

K8BZ, PU2OZT, AD5HR and 2 others like this.
  8. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Clorox? Sounds like you're still making fun of someone's bad sense of humor.

9. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If you are referring to the June 20th Celebrity cruise to the Caribbean, two people on the ship did test positive st the end of the cruise. It does show that nothing is perfect, but it is better than nothing. There were also a couple that tested positive on an MSC cruise in the Mediterranean. The articles do make us consider cruising as a possible problem. I still think that overall, the vaccines seem to be working.

The point is not that the vaccines prevent all incidents of the virus, but that they prevent most of the people from getting it and if they do, the sickness will not kill them or hospitalize them, just put them down for a while.

It will take some time for the virus to be eradicated, if it ever does get stomped out. After all, we still have people getting the flu every year, even with good vaccines for that. But like the C-19 vaccine, getting the flu is not always a death sentence and we all seem OK with that.

The wife and I have a cruise scheduled for next year. If there are still problems by the end of this year, we will cancel. No problem. It's just an email away and we don't lose anything if we reschedule. My major concern with the cruise is not the ship, but the destinations. Our cruise is to the Caribbean just like the Celebrity cruise. All those little island countries. How are they handling the virus? Cruise ships (and tourists) are probably the major industry in most of those places.

Food for thought indeed!

10. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It really makes me wonder about our country when we see a this division and arguments over vaccines. Vaccines have been proven over and over again to be effective in preventing disease. The science on this is undeniable. They work.

The stupidity exhibited this year is simply astounding. What happened to America? Did we all take a stupid pill in sometime in recent years and it's taken this long to take effect? Talk about a vaccine, where's the anti-stupid pill?

Let's get the scientists working on that, OK? Ignorance is curable, stupidity is not; yet...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.