Field Day Safety Officer - covid precautions

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by K2WPM, Jun 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K2WPM

K2WPM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am trying to decide if I want to operate with the club for Field Day, or go portable around the state as Class 1-B. Probably do a little of both.

But I was interested to see what the safety officers are doing to prepare for FD in regards to Covid-19. I searched lots of websites but I did not find anybody even discussing Covid as a FD safety issue. Wouldn't it be smart to have some suggested procedures? Like:

1. All handheld mic's to be wiped down between users.
    2. Replace foam headset mic elements between users; maybe each person carries their own foam insert in their pocket and uses it while they are operating.
    3. Maybe create more space between operating stations.
    4. regular wipe downs of things other than mics -- pens, seats, tables -- on regular intervals.
    5. Several containers of wipes and hand sanitizer.
    6. Possibly a handheld infrared thermometer ... hey they cost what, $40?
    7. Other ideas? Offer masks for those who want them?

Would / could a club be held to be negligent for failing to adopt simple precautions, in today's litigious society?
    You bet.

It might be wise to at least think about this rather than mouthing the usual Safety Officer stuff. I would sure appreciate anyone sharing their own checklists in this regard.

Just sayin...

David, K2WPM

2. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Never mind all that.

The most effective COVID-19 precaution is that everyone participating should be vaccinated!
    ;)

N0TZU, N8RKD, N3AWS and 3 others like this.
  3. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The ones in that price range just measure the average temperature of a surface, and aren't good for detecting fever.

Fever thermometers aren't good for halting the spread of COVID, anyway, unless you combine them with a time machine. A person is most capable of spreading the virus about two days before they start showing symptoms. But many patients never show a fever, so even using the time machine to take their temperature two days into the future isn't a reliable way to know if a person is spreading the virus in the present.

I believe Field Day gatherings should be held outdoors this year. During outdoor gatherings, vaccinated individuals are at very low risk of catching or infecting others with the virus.

N3AWS likes this.
  4. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

While I am leaning heavily towards just doing 1E for Field Day this year, our local club is doing a scaled down Field Day with The Red Cross. They will have various rules in place that are imposed by The Red Cross which include limiting the number of operators in the building at any given time, tracking folks as they come so that contact tracing could be done and I have heard rumors of there being sanitization procedures in place.

Honestly though, even in non COVID years it wouldn't be that bad an idea to keep some wipes down and wipe down gear between folks. Lots of people sadly don't wash their hands properly or often enough.

5. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

Tread very carefully here if you want your club to stay intact. Covid is the most divisive issue to ever confront our society. You could easily drive half your club away never to return. The items you mentioned are all I would expect a club to do. Basically keep things clean and provide a method to clean hands if no running water is available. I'm vaccinated but there are a lot of people who are terrified of the vaccines for reasons I won't go into here. Vaccination status is a dangerous area to get involved in and many get very offended about it. If you are indoors then you could recommend those not vaccinated to wear a mask but please don't card people. My card stays in the file cabinet under V where it belongs.

KI5WW, K8BZ and KK9W like this.
  6. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's what you do: tell anyone who's sick or paranoid stay home.

Note: Smearing hand sanitizer/wipes on the touch screen of any radio that has one is an excellent way to ruin that radio; just ask your local grocer how many card readers they've had to replace over the last year because of this.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    AE0MI, K3UJ, AG5CK and 2 others like this.
  7. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

If that was true then people would not be getting sick with any virus again, but they are. Even Doctors.
    Keep yer experimental test vaccines Thank You... ;)

PU2OZT, N3SE, K3XR and 1 other person like this.
  8. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Perhaps you don't understand.

No one claims that the vaccines are 100% effective in preventing COVID19.

They ARE very close to 100% effective in preventing severe illness, complications, hospitalization and death.

See:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/effectiveness/work.html

;)

WG7X and W4PG like this.
  9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm amazed at the number of folks who don't hesitate to be injected with an experimental vaccine where little is known of the short-term effects and nothing long-term. I guess they concluded the risks are worth it.

"The vaccine advisory committee for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will participate in an emergency meeting next week after hundreds of young Americans developed heart inflammation following their second dose of the Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 jabs."

https://nypost.com/2021/06/11/we-cl...ing-emergency-meeting-over-covid-vax-concern/

PU2OZT, N8AFT and KM4FVI like this.
  10. KM4FVI

KM4FVI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, vaccination is the answer; no more Covid-19 to worry about….so why did a cruise ship full of vaccinated folks come down with Covid-19?

Food for thought…

PU2OZT, N8AFT and K3XR like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.