Field Day recipes

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2PVP, Jun 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (w5alt @ June 05 2004,11:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AG4YO @ June 05 2004,13:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Chipolte  Burgers??  Mohahahahahahahahhaha!   Sounds....stylish![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Is that the same as &quot;chipotle&quot; by chance?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Very few (in the US) actually know what chipotles really are. Anyway, the gringo pronunciation is:
                              CHEE- POLE- TEES
    oh yeah, don't forget....HAL- AH- PEE- NOS

2. KY5U

KY5U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I like your field day Bob.  Where do I sign up???

Okay, another burger recipe albeit not as stylish as &quot;Chipolte Burgers&quot;.  

5Lbs Beef
    3/4 cup Progresso italian bread crumbs
    2 eggs
    garlic powder
    1/2 cup finely chopped onions
    1/2 cup KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce.
    1 tbsp salt

Start with beef and cover with a moderate sprinkling of garlic powder and salt, mix and add onions and mix again. Then add ingredients in this order: eggs, bread crumbs, and BBQ sauce.  Mix it up well.....clean hands work the best.  

Should make 16-20 hamburgers depending on how big you make them.  OF COURSE, cook on BBQ grill...press and flip often.  Don't let them burn.

What do I call them??  We make 'em really big and we call them &quot;colon busters&quot; at my house.

P.S. These burgers reheat very well and they are excellent if you cook them, freeze them in freezer bags and heat in microwave as needed days, weeks, or even a month later.

3. KY5U

KY5U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

MIV,

Got my dutch oven ready for field day too!!  Ready to butterfly my pork and smear with calvados stuff.  You bringing the celantro??  I will bring the balsamic salad dressing and the portobello mushrooms....k? What wine should I serve with this?

My pork is free range pork....of course!

4. Guest

Guest Guest

GRILL-ROASTED BEER CAN CHICKEN

Ingredients.
    1.) 1 cup kosher salt
    2.) 1 whole broiler/ fryer chicken( about 3 ½ pounds
    3.) 3 tablespoons of spice rub( which consists of
    4.) 2 tablespoons ground cumin, 2 tablespoons curry powder, 2 tablespoons chili powder, 1 tablespoon of ground allspice, 1 tablespoon ground black pepper, and 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon)
    5.) And 1 12-ounce of can beer (michalob beer works the best.)
    Steps.

1.) Dissolve salt in 2 quarts of water in large container. Immerse chicken in salted water and refrigerate until fully seasoned, about 1 hour. Remove chicken from brine and rinse inside and out with cool running water; pat dry with paper towels. Massage spice rub all over chicken, inside and out. Lift up skin over breast and rub spice rub directly on outer meat.
    2.) Open beer can and pour out (or drink) about ¼ cup. With church key can opener, punch two larger holes in top of can (for a total of three holes). Slide chicken over can so that drumsticks reach down to bottom of can and chicken stands upright.
    3.) Place chicken and beer can on cool part of grill, using ends of drumsticks to help steady bird. Cover and grill-roast, rotating bird 180 degrees at halfway mark to ensure even cooking, until you insert instant –read thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 170 to 175 degrees, which is 70 to 90 minutes. Cook chicken at mild temperature on grill.
    4.) With a large wad of paper towels in each hand, transfer chicken and can to platter or tray, making sure to keep can upright. Let rest 15 minutes; using paper towel wads, carefully lift chicken off can and onto platter or cutting board. Discard remaining beer and can. Carve chicken and enjoy.

This is good beyond belief. Your grill lid must large/deep enough to be able to close with a chicken with a beer can up it's you know what in there.

This is so good figure close to a chicken per person, you can't stop eating it.

Have a good field day and listen for me from Wyoming on 80, 40 &amp; 20 CW.

73, Marty WB2RJR

5. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (N2PVP @ June 04 2004,15:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am in charge of cooking this year at Field Day any have anyone field day recipes they want to share?  ;)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Thanks for the warning. We are SO screwed.

Oh, hi Mario!! How are you? I'll be eating, ummm . . . somewhere else.

Oh, ok, I'm kidding.

All jokes aside, MARC (W2MAR) has had excellent food the past few Field Days. I've nothing to complain about. I'm looking forward to Mario's cooking now.

6. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm setting up FD ops in the parking lot at McDonald's.

Problem solved.

Ed

7. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

Soak a cut up chicken in about 1/2 cup of citrus juice. Key lime is best but lemon, lime, lemon/lime, or even grapefruit juice works well. Put into tupperware and turn occasionaly for about 30 mins to coat all pieces.

Start just enough charcoal to sparsely cover the bottom of a BBQ pot. Lay a few pieces about 4&quot; long &amp; 1 to 1 1/2&quot; thick (3 or 4 with a good inch or more of space between them, you want the wood to smolder) of not quite fully seasoned wood pieces on the coals. Natural hand cut and split wood works best. Apple, cherry (or any fruitwood), mesquite, oak, hickory, maple, etc. (its best to remove the bark first).

Sprinkle some seasoned salt, I like cajun seasoned salt, or a mix of 50% salt, 25% black pepper, and 25% red pepper (not too hot, it distracts from the flavor) paprika, or cascabel is fine, on the bone (underside) of the pieces, place them on the grill, then season the top, or skin side with more season salt.

Controll the fire with the lid. If flame starts you must put the lid on and shut the air down immediately. If you get it right the wood pieces will smoke like crazy. Cook for about 45-60 mins then flip over once. It should take 1 to 1 1/2 hrs to cook. Pierce the thighs with a sharp toothpic. When the juices are no longer red/pink everything is done. Don't overcook.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.