ad: portazero-1

Field Day or No Field Day, that is the question.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Jul 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

KB5OVP writes "Well, I have sit here listening to my radio since Field Day 2001, pondering whether I should keep my mouth shut or say what is on my mind. I have come to the conclusion that I have got to say something, be it right or wrong.

When Field Day 2001 rolled around, I was really excited. This would be my first Field Day in Ten years. I had been away from Ham Radio for a long time. I thought, what a way to meet new Hams, get to see advances in equipment and maybe even put my new Extra Class License to use.

I was very disappointed. The closest club to my home was about 20 miles away. I went to their club meeting the week prior to Field Day and they voted not to participate, because they were not prepared and did not want to present a shabby appearance to the general public. I said to myself O.K. I can understand that. I will go to a larger clubs Field Day, about 30 miles North of my location. This will surely be a good one, because they have been announcing it on their repeater station for a week now. When Field Day rolled around I got into my vehicle and started out. I identified on a local simplex frequency, hoping to talk to some local stations on my way to Field Day. A friend was waiting and as we started our QSO he advised that Field Day for my intended location had also been canceled, that very morning. I think you get the picture now.

O.K. lets get it out in the open. Field Day, in my opinion, is to test our emergency preparedness while at the same time having the additional benefit of allowing us to present Amateur Radio to the general public. Here is what I found to be the case for me. Some clubs plan for Field Day for an entire year and still crash and burn when it comes time to activate their Transceivers in the field. Some clubs that are on the air are only interested in racking up points. When did this event become a contest?

Everyone has an opinion. Here is mine. I don’t have a problem with the contesting, maybe it will be a helpful tool to identify those areas with communication problems. Here is the kicker. Mother Nature, terrorists, or other emergencies or not going to give you a forewarning. I would like the ARRL to consider this. Plan for Field Day 2002. Set the criteria in advance. The actual starting time and date will be announced by the ARRL, Six hours in advance. W1AW will announce it. District Emergency Coordinators will be advised by e-mail and phone messages. Now lets see who is prepared and who is not. I think it would be a real wake up call for all of us. If you say, that’s not enough time to get ready, you have a real problem. I will be ready as an individual. I am going to join the local club and do what I can to help them be ready also.

73’s"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.