ad: MyersEng-1

Field Day Mode Question

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by AD6AD, Jun 28, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. AD6AD

AD6AD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I worked TWO modes on Field Day:
    - Part time using commercial power (1D)
    - Part time using battery back-up power. (1E)

The ARRL entry form accepts only ONE form, (SELECT ONE).

Does that mean I have to make one log entry for the "1D" contacts and another for the "1E?"

2. N1SFT

N1SFT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Did you use two different callsigns?

You can not enter the event under one callsign, but multiple categories (classes.)

You can not change your class during the event.

Assuming you file your log as a 1D, the stations that you contacted while 1D will have "valid" contacts with you.
    The stations that contacted you, while you were reporting you were 1E will not have valid contacts.

Next time just pick one class, or use a different callsign when you change classes.

3. AD6AD

AD6AD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks. Very helpful info.
    I used just one call sign. I see now that this is a problem.
    The ARRL instructions indicated that you can get credit for using battery back-up for "at least 5 contacts," so I thought this meant you could mix and match.

4. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No, it's always been the case --including last year and this-- that contacts with Class "E" stations are valid for all other classes.

It's only Class "D"-to-Class "D" that were made valid only for this year and last:

4.6. (Class D) Home stations: Stations operating from permanent or licensed station locations using commercial power. Class D stations may only count contacts made with Class A, B, C, E and F Field Day stations.

Temporary rule waiver: For Field Day 2021 only, Class D stations may work all other Field Day stations, including other Class D stations, for points. Field Day rule 4.6 defines Class D stations as “Home stations,” including stations operating from permanent or licensed station locations using commercial power. Class D stations ordinarily may only count contacts made with Class A, B, C, E, and F Field Day stations, but the temporary rule waiver for 2021 allows Class D stations to count contacts with other Class D stations for QSO credit.
    ;)

5. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No, that's only to claim the Bonus Points for Alternate Power ... not for determining whether you're in the "B" (battery) class:

7.3.8. Alternate Power: 100 bonus points for Field Day groups making a minimum of five QSOs without using power from commercial mains or petroleum driven generator. This means an "alternate" energy source of power, such as solar, wind, methane or water. This includes batteries charged by natural means (not dry cells). The natural power transmitter counts as an additional transmitter. If you do not wish to increase your operating category, you should take one of your other transmitters off the air while the natural power transmitter is in operation. A separate list of natural power QSOs should be submitted with your entry. Available to Classes A, B, E, and F.

Once you used commercial power you were in Class 1D.
    ;)

6. N1SFT

N1SFT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fellas... I might have been... wrong!!! (I know, shudder the thought.) :)

Here's what i've learned through preparing my FD submittal package;
    the entry form does not ask for the "class" of each station you worked. The entry form only lists the stations you worked, and the bands worked.

In other words... THE OTHER GUYS will be able to use the Q's they-made-with-you in both classes and get full credit.

The problem is, YOU can't use the Q's made in one of the classes.

Here is a snippet of the "Dupe sheet" that N3FJP logging software makes:

Call Used: NE1FO Class: 6A ARRL Section: NH

Dupe Sheet

80 CW
    AA2B
    AC1J
    K1LT
    K2DLL
    K2IY
    K2NJ
    K3ZO
    K8ES
    K9OM
    N2LBR
    N3HCN
    N3SCN
    N4NX
    NE1F
    NJ1OM
    NJ2OM
    NM2R
    NN3L
    NW8U
    VE3YT
    W1FM
    W1HP
    W2C
    W2MMD
    W2QI
    W2RA
    W4PJW
    W8LVN
    W9OG
    WA1AR
    WK2G
    WQ3N

80 CW Total Contacts = 32 (and it goes on and on into different bands and modes)
    So... the point is, the DUPE sheet doesn't indicate the class of the other guy. BUT the header of the file indicates YOUR class.