Field Day 2020

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA6MHZ, Mar 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

will it happen? All this madness, lockdowns, riots and anguish might go on for a year or more! Sooner later it will be cured, and that will be that!
    But it sure doesn't look like we will all be back to normal by the End of June

So since people cant meet together ( all clubs, lodges, churches and gatherings shut down) Field Day will be really tough this year.

Normally my club has FD in the parking lot over at Santee Lakes, Every one has a great time! Wonderful Commaradery, Chow, and a few QSOs while we are at it.

But that sure doesn't look likely this year!
    So WILL FD GO ON?

Or maybe just for 1 or 2 person groups,
    I am ready ,I can run FT8 from my yard with a G5RV, All I gotta due is get a rope over the top of that tree.
    Hmmm, problem there. Need one of those FANCY SHMANCY Drones all the guys got!
    Guess I could sit in the car and run the rig.
    I have the FT8 GoKit I built that works great. Problem would be powering the laptop for the FD Run. The AC Inverter I have just TEARS UP the Ham RF SPectrum to the point is unusable!

20200117_063349.jpg this and the big battery box 50AH Gell Cell will run quite awhile. I don't want to run a Generator here as this is Downtown Crest and excess noise is quite frowned upon. People want to listen to the birds and Crickets chirping up here!
    So I could run FD from the car, but would prefer inside the house here where it is nice and warm! and Facillities are only 10 ft away!

IN that case I could run class 1 E and not worry a bout the batteries!

Any way, need to think about Creative FD in a LOCKDOWN WORLD!!

KA4DPO, N4FZ, KE5OFJ and 1 other person like this.
  2. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Hysteria and exclamation marks are two symptoms of the Media Virus.

WD4IGX, N4FZ, WN1MB and 3 others like this.
  3. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

84740348_10157573613489927_2215374050018983936_o.jpg
    here is the full setup for a portable event

KA4DPO, KI6IPO and N4FZ like this.
  4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Shack Day 2020"

N4FZ and KE5OFJ like this.
  5. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

My guess is that if it is still on, it could have rule changes reflecting the current state in June. For instance, some changes might include:
    - Overall, more focus on individuals vs groups
    - Changes to scoring for in-person interactions, like official visits and GOTA mentoring
    - Additions to the safety officer checklist regarding medical concerns, like procedures for wiping down equipment between operators.

But of course, June is a LOOOONG way away.

N4FZ and WD0BCT like this.
  6. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Mayor of Denver announced that liquor stores and MJ stores would be closed by 5:00PM today at a press conference yesterday.
    It created a run on liquor and MJ stores. At 5:00PM yesterday he changed his mind. Instead of closing he will enforce strict 6 ft isolation rule at liquor stores and MJ shops.

Finding leadership during times of hysteria is rare. There is no reason to cancel or revise ARRL FIELD DAY at this stage. It's 3 months off. Leadership should be assessing conditions now and thinking about possible actions during field day. Whether or not social distancing is required and how we intend to accomplish are the things leadership should be considering at this point in time. Let's not jump the gun on announcements.

For people planning FIELD DAY events some creative thinking should be employed now and staying flexible as we approach FIELD DAY will be required. After all it is supposedly done for emergency preparedness. And we are now in emergency conditions!

I'm always ready to operate alone from my patio if I have to but I was looking forward to a club affair this year. Stay flexible!

KG5CVH, K0UO and N4FZ like this.
  7. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Happen or not...I have my T shirts on order

N4FZ likes this.
  8. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A lot of summer events are getting cancelled, it looks like my trip to NYC first weekend of June will likely get cancelled, it is going to take more than just a few more weeks to get the virus under control. China's lockdown on the Wuhan province last 2 months, AFAIK. Perhaps some stuff later in June will still go on, I was supposed to be a groomsman in my cousin's wedding. I think we will know more in 3-4 weeks based on the trend but I do think this is going to be at least a 2 month thing if not longer

9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't get excited. Field day is still three months away. I have every expectation we'll be able to operate as usual. And, anyway, we always have at least six feet between operating positions. ;)

WD4IGX likes this.
  10. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Even if the order to stay at home remains, you can still hold Field Day. Run 1 delta, set up on the patio with a battery for 1 bravo.

After all, isn't improvisation the whole point?

KY5U, N8TGQ, N9TO and 2 others like this.