ad: Amateur-1

Field Day 2020 Stories... The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5BIB, Jun 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The forum software doesn't allow me to give you two likes, so here's the second! Very well said!

2. W0FS

W0FS Ham Member QRZ Page

With my XYL and I both over 65, we decided to play it safe this year and do FD from home. Margot, KB0MPL, decided to run PSK and operated 1D as we didn't have a battery loose that would handle (we thought) her FT-450D long even at low power. She struggled to hear many stations to contact anyway.
    My standard routine for the last several Field Days has been to run my FT-817 on battery at the 2.5 watt setting. I have been trying to convince the local clubs of the advantages of QRP in the FD environment-- little or no cross-interference, higher multiplier. There are very few cw ops left in the area so I have not made any progress in promoting that as a good mode for FD. The common idea seems to be to get on 20M SSB and beat you head against the wall in the wake of the KW home stations.
    Was not sure my 10 year old garden tractor-sized battery was going to suffice so I found a "dud" in storage for trade-in and bought a new one. As it turned out, the tired old battery lasted through the 24 hours and I never used the new one.
    My first challenge was getting distracted and not looking for things until about 1700 UTC Saturday. I dug the FT-817 out and --where's the power cable that always lives in the box with the transceiver? My box of new connectors had several coaxial power plugs in it, all too big or too small. Finally found the cable in a box that it didn't belong in. I really wanted to use the 817 on battery for power multiplier reasons.
    My "bread and butter" band for FD over the years has been 40 meters. Starting on 40, it was a mess of signals and static crashes. After squeezing out a couple of contacts I decided that it was too noisy and crowded for 2.5 watts to be effective. I tuned around and found plenty of signals on 15M. Power is not a big deal on 10 or 15M and most of the stations I called there could hear me, most had my call correct the first time. In all, after taking frequent breaks and sleeping several hours after 15M died out, I had a total of 91 contacts. Not a great showing but I am definitely not up to all-nighters any more. After I turned 70, sleep has become more important to me all the time.
    Anyway, the Field Day experience this year was unlike any other that i have been in. I would hope that we can do a more normal experience next year. It just didn't seem a good idea to go out in public this time.
    thanks and 73,
    Clay W0FS

N1VAU, KJ5T, AG6QR and 3 others like this.
  3. KT0DX

KT0DX Ham Member QRZ Page

To make you ask this very question.

N3FAA and K1OIK like this.
  4. NQ4T

NQ4T Ham Member QRZ Page

I did it because I love radio. Did someone point a gun to your head and make you work FD? It seems to me if you really wanted to protest you should have just left your radio off. I don't like Chick-Fil-A...I don't eat there. I don't like Apple...I don't buy their products. I don't sit there and continue to contribute while saying "everything except this one feature is fine...i don't use this one feature".

Yes. I do.

But if I chose not to answer that person...I don't go running around on a forum saying I'm doing it as a form of protest. I just don't tell anyone because what kind of idiot admits to something that can't be proven?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  5. NQ4T

NQ4T Ham Member QRZ Page

My point was with the flawed design of this receiver an analog filter would not have provided help. The signals needed to be stopped at the front end...no amount of filtering on the demod side would have helped. This was not just some guy the 1khz of someone's upper...it was more like someone 10khz off with inverted spectrum "rolling over" in to the audible spectrum.

6. KA7RRA

KA7RRA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The good

I had a great day for field day this year on Saturday I was mobile class of 1C. I operated from the dog park on Cavalero(SP) hill off of 20 st in Lake Stevens it was across the street to the local store,so I was able to get lunch,and go to the bathroom.
    Sunday I operated 1D from home with a 100 watts
    Everything went well and all of my stuff worked for me with out any problems

the bad

I wish the bands were better for some reason I could not get any of the 4 land or 5 land or any east states a lot of California,Oregon AZ, Wyoming and Utah and some in Canada

I made a lot of contacts on 146.52, and a lot on 6

the ugly
    I don't know what the ugly would be I had a great time and enjoyed field day

I guess the bad would be when you got wiped out by other stations running power and you just a mobile unit with just 100 watts

W5BIB and N3FAA like this.