Field Day 2020 Stories... The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5BIB, Jun 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup on using both. Permethrin will kill them once they touch your treated clothing, but doesn't deter them like Picaridin does. Permethrin is particularly effective against ticks. I came out of a tick infested area with several dead ones on my shoes and pants. I typically treat any outerwear, hats, socks, camp furniture, hammocks (hammock camper here), and such.

Chris

N1VAU likes this.
  2. N0NC

N0NC Ham Member QRZ Page

With low power and a single band, 515 Q's is a very respectable score. more than a lot of the Parked 1D stations made. You probably had a better antenna than they did. Mostly cw?
    73, Chuck
    N0NC

3. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

somebody pass me a burger!

W2AI likes this.
  4. KA0USE

WHAT!!!!!! NO BBQ???? heathens all!

W2AI likes this.
  5. KA0USE

3x extra points for the missus going along.
    do something special for her.

6. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a peanut butter (crunchy even!) sammich in the woods. I neglected to ask if the squirrels had nut allergies though.

Chris

KA0USE likes this.
  7. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry to hear that someone held a gun to your head and forced you to operate as a 1D.

Some batteries and wire are not that expensive. But, if you can't afford it, you can't afford it.

No, it's not. And that is precisely why the rules should have been left alone. It would have created an opportunity for ham radio to show how it can "operate in abnormal situations in less than optimal conditions".

People choose avatars for all sorts of reasons besides "pride". Satire, for example. Think about it. Apparently, though, it's too subtle for some people. My "pride" is based on who I am and what I have accomplished in life, not on an avatar.

I doubt that you care who I am. If you did, you would have looked up my QRZ bio, where there's a photo of me. If you wanted to dig further, there's more out there.

There were no contacts made with D stations, so no "valid contacts" were "refused". I assume you meant that everyone should be required to answer all CQs, and to call all running stations, regardless of objectives and strategy for the contest. That would be silly. I doubt that such a rule would be very popular. What if you just didn't hear them? Or you were tuning around looking for particular sections and didn't want to waste time contacting the same few sections dozens of times?

Already answered at least twice by me and once by someone else. Don't you listen before you transmit?

Absolutely there's a problem attracting new blood to the hobby/service. Do you believe that new hams or potential hams or the general public think it's cool to cower in their basement by themselves sending "1D VA" incessantly all day? If they have the impression that is what ham radio is all about - something for loners - and that the demographic is so old and infirm that half of us are afraid we'll die if we go outside - then it's no wonder we're not getting new blood.

There was a wonderful opportunity this year to go on with the public show of ham radio and interacting with potential new hams, and all that was required that wasn't "normal" would be some social distancing and PPE precautions and perhaps some changes to set up and operating practices. It would have been a great opportunity to show the public and public officials that ham radio can adapt and be reliable in "... abnormal situations in less than optimal conditions".

Thankfully, there were still some groups and individuals who took up the challenge and showed real spirit of the event.

N3FAA likes this.
  8. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You're probably on the PETA Hit List ! :p

KI4POT likes this.
  9. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Who said DSP? The old Autek analog filters worked wonders. And that was on some really old stuff, by today’s standards (Atlas RX 110 w/the TX 110 transmitter... well kinda...), QRP yet.

WN1MB likes this.
  10. KI6J

KI6J Ham Member QRZ Page

All CW, with about 120 Qs on a 40m dipole. I let my skills get rusty over the last few years so I've been training like George Foreman trying to regain his title.

WN1MB likes this.