Field Day 2020 Stories... The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5BIB, Jun 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
  1. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for the kind words, I am certainly not a videographer, but I am pretty impressed with the capabilities of cell phones for making short shots like this. Probably should have turned down the rig when talking as it was a bit overpowering. Amazing how loud the KX2 is and how clean the CW is, that volume was barely cranked up. This was mostly to show my wife and a couple of less active ham friends, despite some of the "dead air" frames where I was thinking/talking and not focused on anything it served the purpose.

2. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The background audio was perfect, it set the mood.
    Another ham on a boat merely panned around neither saying or explaining anything.
    You did a great job.
    I have a feeling you love life.

3. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Do you need a yellow vest that says Amateur Radio Communicator?

K1OIK likes this.
  4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Let's hope they don't wind up with anything. I hope this was not this year. ;)

KA0USE likes this.
  5. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

N1PTT 1B NH after action report:

The good:
    1. Spending time on a mountain top in a remote primitive off grid cabin with a couple of good friends, good food and beverage just for the fun of it all.

2. Expending the worthy effort to set up a temporary station with decent antennas. 135' doublet, MFJ octopus, rotatable 6m dipole, 5 element yagi on 2+440.

3. General enjoyment of the radio + camping experience during ideal weather conditions.

4. Making 200+ contacts.

5. Leaving the cabin and surrounding area far better than we found it.

The bad:
    1. Finally realizing that 2/440 SSB during FD isn't worth the effort even if you are in a good location. (No contacts)

2. Time flies when you're having fun!

~ N1VAU

WN1MB likes this.
  6. N1YR

N1YR Ham Member QRZ Page

X2 on this. It is highly rated by Consumer Reports. And if a bottle leaks, it won't dissolve your nylon packs like DEET will.
    You have to search for it, I found some at an outdoor store, but other outdoor stores have zero products containing it.
    Or order "Natrapel" through Amazon.

I have no commercial interest in the products, just a satisfied user from Black Fly country.

N1VAU likes this.
  7. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I find Permethrin spray to be particularly effective.

I sprayed the cabin screens from inside and my outer clothing had already had the treatment and allowed to dry the day before.

No bugs in the cabin and no bugs on me.

8. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

At least you're not wearing a ridiculous face mask for your avatar, Burt!

As for the Look-At-Me-Look-At-Me-Look-At-Me whacker vests ... don't get me started on that nonsense.
    Nice, succinct video.

One note: it's not an "UN-yun" ... ;) Other than that, FB!

9. KI6J

KI6J Ham Member QRZ Page

5 watts to a 20m lazy H at 55 feet. 515 Qs. Hard slogging for a 1B station with crazy deep QSB and tons of parked delta stations.

N1VAU, KK5JY, N3FAA and 1 other person like this.
  10. N1YR

N1YR Ham Member QRZ Page

FYI for the uninitiated:
    Permethrin is used to treat clothing, etc., but is not applied on the skin. Picaridin goes on exposed skin.
    Use both for a one, two punch.

N1VAU and KU4X like this.