Field Day 2020 Stories... The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5BIB, Jun 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was gonna fire-up the generator in the motorhome & operate "1E AL" for a while, but, decided to play on the WARC bands with commercial power this weekend.

There's quite a bit of activity on 30, 17, & even 12m CW - I'd guess operators getting away from the madness & mayhem on the FD bands. ;) - Those FD bands sound like CWops sprints (35-45wpm) - macros & memory keyboards. Once-upon-a-time when I was young(er) & it was fun... BUT HEY!, it shows that many bands are open more often than not. :D

I'm anxious to hear; The GOOD, The BAD, & The UGLY stories about your Field Day 2020 experience.

dit dit

K04ESA likes this.
  2. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

The Good: This is the first FD I've participated in since 2011 and instead of doing it in a park with a club, I hiked into the woods and set up a properly portable station.

The Bad: The antenna ("No Tune" EFHW) I wanted to use yesterday did not work right, forcing me to rely on my other portable antenna.

The Ugly: The rule change facilitating D stations resulted in so many Ds on the air a lowly B station using a compromise antenna like myself couldn't get noticed. I know the station works because it's the same set up I use for SOTA. There's just no motivation (ie extra points) for a station to talk to quiet lil me when there are literally dozens of booming stations that are easier to hear/understand.

I suppose it could have been worse. It was a nice walk, great weather, and I was in a beautiful spot overlooking a creek instead of in a man-made park or indoors. I'm going out again today. It'll be tilting at windmills, but that's QRP! :)

Chris

KA0USE, N4FZ, W7TCT and 6 others like this.
  3. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The good? Many stations on the air.

The bad? Rotten conditions.

The middle? Complaints from compromised stations showing up on QRZ complaining about all the 1D activity. Field day is not just a QRP event. All types of stations are going to get on the air.

W4IOA, W4NNF, K04ESA and 1 other person like this.
  4. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What was the point of Field Day, this year?

W4POT, K04ESA and NN4RH like this.
  5. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

1D?

What is that?

K04ESA likes this.
  6. N4NYK

N4NYK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A single transmitting home station on commercial power. There would probably be some of those even in the event of a major catastrophe.

N4FZ and K04ESA like this.
  7. N4NYK

Same as any other field day. Just a little different due to social distancing practices.

VE3FI, N4FZ, K04ESA and 1 other person like this.
  8. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A little different? Really?

W4POT, K04ESA, NN4RH and 1 other person like this.
  9. N4NYK

I know when I participated in field day, I was glad to hear a loud and clear 1D station once in a while instead of trying to dig out another signal buried in the noise.

K04ESA likes this.
  10. N4NYK

Our club is having a great field day. Those folks who are “uncomfortable” about being out are not participating.
    Yep, a little different is all.

N1VAU, N4FZ and K04ESA like this.