Fiberglass Mast Refurb?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N4MU, May 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a 6 section push up fiberglass mast for my dual hamstick dipoles. Over a few years, and who knows how many push ups and downs the tube surfaces have begun to "shread". Not much mind you but just enough to catch a tiny fiber or two in your hands when pushing up, etc. I have begun to use gloves to keep the minute flecks off my hands. Again, it's not much, just occasionally. Is there any sort of reconditioning material that could recoat the surface of each tube? Even some clear Krylon spray? Any other material? Thanks for ideas and experience. 73

2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

oh those little splinters can be so painful! I used steel wool to scrub them off, then a couple coats of enamel spray paint to coat the surface. that lasted another 10 years at least.

worth saying: maybe use a scotchbrite pad instead of steel wool. consider wet sanding to catch the fiberglass bits. obviously, use gloves, long sleeves, mask, and eye protection.

AK5B and K0UO like this.
  3. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

80 grit sand paper will make quick work of it. Use an epoxy spray paint on it.
    I work a lot with fiberglass on boats.
    If you have sensitive skin, use a large fan behind you, as you work to keep the glass off of you.

Ed

N1VAU, AK5B, KA0HCP and 1 other person like this.
  4. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Another old trick when working with fiberglass is to cover your exposed skin with gypsum baby powder. It supposedly blocks the pores to help prevent the fibers from imbedding.

AK5B likes this.
  5. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

All good ideas and from experience it sounds like. Thinking of the Scotchbrite idea...I have a couple old "lovebug scrubbers" that I have replaced for the car windshield, etc. They have large "pockets" but are totally non-abrasive. I'm going to try those (wet) on an extra bottom section I have first to see how they work...if there's not much improvement we'll go to sandpaper. The idea of epoxy paint also sounds like a longer lasting solution (no pun untended). Thanks to all...now I've got another project to keep me busy...LOL

6. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

An old wives tale. It does nothing for fiberglass at all.
    Just go with the sand paper. Several strokes of 80 grit & you will be fine.
    For the past 7 months, I have been laying glass, sanding, smooging, sanding & finally painting a 55' aluminum sail cat. In all of my decades of boat work, I have never seen a scotchbrite pad used on raw glass.

Ed

7. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It could just be a placebo effect. Everyone tells you it helps, therefor you "feel" it helps. It did seem to help when I tried it.

8. KD9HRB

KD9HRB Ham Member QRZ Page

Silicone/teflon spray or some type of dry lube may help after you get rid of splinters? Use it after a coating is applied for obvious reasons. Worth a try on a section, to see?