Female Ham Needing Safe Shelter

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KD0ETX, Aug 16, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. AE7QT

AE7QT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey! Don't forget 146.520 FM simplex. Lots of people out there hang out on this freq too. As an OTR truck driver, this is where you will find me anywhere from coast to coast. ae7qt/m
    Have fun on your trip, I see lots of things along my routes, but I don't have to worry about where to sleep every night, I have a bed 2 feet behind my seat. 73!

2. N4STG

N4STG Ham Member QRZ Page

You went to Anniston and didn't buy a Garand?

3. K0PB

K0PB Ham Member QRZ Page

We did something like that 30+ years ago and ended up in Portland... check it out first

4. NE4Y

NE4Y Ham Member QRZ Page

SOOOOO. Its Spring 2017... Where are you today?

5. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

Being an EE I have some experience with moving frequently and trying to save money. I use Air BnB for stays from 2 nights to a couple of weeks. They don't usually accept one night stays but that's up to the host. Usually a lot cheaper than hotels and nice people. For longer stays I put an ad in Craigs List but you have to be very careful with that. Went to interview them and got the creeps more than once. They will check you out, too of course. I have generally rented rooms from older ladies and that's worked. One had her dogs sniff me and used their judgement. She had rented rooms many times and the dogs never let her down. Dogs hate evil people! I once rented a room from a retired lawyer and he was good. Most times the hosts had dogs and/or cats so it pays to be an animal lover. Several times I was dropped off by my wife in the car with the bicycle strapped on the back and used that to get to work and around. It is quite miserable when it rains or snows but sometimes that's all I could afford on my engineering pay after long periods of unemployment. My bicycle has gotten me through several years of a very thin wallet. I am bracing for those days again this coming summer if nothing opens up in Texas. I will depart my wife's side and go it alone to somewhere to keep a roof over our heads. Usually try to get home once every couple of months but that depends on how far I have to go.

6. W7EDC

W7EDC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

whats wrong with Portland?

7. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

She is with Waldo... who isn't a ham (that I know of). :D

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

8. KK7EL

KK7EL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can't say that yet. I hope.

9. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Huh? My statement was "I've lived in the area my whole life and know the region"

Why can't I say that "yet"? I'm 55 and never lived in another city (except for a year in Aberdeen). I live 2 miles from the house I grew up in.... Will I know this region when I'm 60? 70? 100? :)

I'm wondering if you perhaps quoted a different post maybe? Or are you saying I don't know the greater Tacoma area?

What are you saying? :)

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  10. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave, you haven't lived there your WHOLE life.... yet!

Hopefully you've got a long way to go!