ad: k1jek

Female Ham Needing Safe Shelter

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KD0ETX, Aug 16, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD0ETX

KD0ETX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have gotten a wild hair up my skirt and have decided to live a dream I have had since I was sixteen. I am moving to Washington state, probably the Seattle/Tacoma area. The only problem is, I don't know a soul up there or anywhere along the way.

I will be traveling to Washington from Kansas City, Mo. The trip begins on Sept. 1st and I am looking for some help in saving my pennies for when I get there. It occured to me that my ham radio peeps might be able to help me out.

I just need safe places to sleep. I can handle just about anything if I'm awake, but I'm an insomniac and need to feel safe to sleep or I don't, which could be a problem behind the wheel. I'm not particular, it can be a spare room or my tent in your back yard and I will generally be gone the next day.

Check out my website at www.notcrazyjustnutZ.com for my tentative travel map. If you are willing and able to help, get in touch with me through my facebook page or shoot me a message here.

I don't want to just drive straight through or hurry the trip. I would like to spend some time exploring on my way and visiting with locals to get the scoop on what I just have to see while in their home town. I'm a photographer and a writer and would love the opportunity to store up ideas to plug into stories later.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

2. K5JEF

K5JEF Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry but I'm not on your route. Good luck on your adventure.

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a bit scary.

But sounds fun at the same time.

I am not allowed to harbor a run away. :oops:

Good Luck.

4. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Wish I could help!
    Once U get there, watch out for the HOBO SPIDERS!!

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I wish I could help also, but unless you detour through Los Angeles to view the wild open places here, I'm pretty far off your path.

Pity, since we have three empty bedrooms after the kids all grew up and moved elsewhere.

Your story reminds me of the book and film Wild, though...which was a good book and a good film. That involved a single woman hiking the Pacific Crest Trail, which is a bit more wild than tent camping in backyards but still...

6. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like a fun trip and I've spent many years traveling with an RV throughout the West and photographing/writing the history. If you are interested in old west history there is a treasure trove of it.

Keep in mind that the weather can turn quickly, especially in Wyoming. I'm not sure if the outdoor museum will be open outside Cheyenne but it is interesting stop. Might close after Labor Day.

Rawlins has the old prison which is very interesting and plenty of photograph opportunities.

Not sure how you plan on getting to the coast (Nevada or Idaho) but Nevada has a lot of great history.

It would be nice to travel up the 101 long the Oregon Coast if you are into the ocean environment and seas. Lots of photograph possibilities there also.

If you plan ahead usually churches will help you for a night or two and some will even pay for a motel room. All worth checking into.

Enjoy the trip...lots to experience. :)

7. KC7YRA

KC7YRA Ham Member QRZ Page

I see that you are going through Medicine Bow Wyoming (medicine blow as we call it since the trees grow sideways). I live about 100 miles north.

Let me save you a few hours of driving and frustration. There is NOTHING in MB worth seeing. The Virginian has a cool back story, but in reality, the place isn't worth a 5 minute stop.

Fuel is double the price per gallon of national average, because there is only one station for 100 miles in any direction.

Food, non existent. Attractions, non existent. Any amenities, non existent.

Just stay on I80 at Laramie, and keep going.

K1FBI and K2HAT like this.
  8. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ditto on Medicine Bow. Say, Brad, I used to drive regularly from Douglas to Saratoga, 200 miles. Thanks to that stretch to Medicine Bow I could make it in 2.5 hours :)

Katherine, if it were summer I'd recommend jumping off I-80 and go down to Saratoga and then across the Snowy Pass to Laramie. Beautiful scenery but the pass usually closes in September.

K2HAT likes this.
  9. KC7YRA

KC7YRA Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a much better idea!!! Up over Libby Flatts, through Ryan Park and Saratoga. Then stay at the inn and have a decent steak.

That is, if it's open. They've already been having snow that way, so it will close very soon. Only way to travel will be snowmobile.

Ya, medicine bow is a great place to drive through, but that's it. Their only claim to fame in the Virginian which is rife with rig pigs and other undesirable folks now. It is for sale if you want a hundred+ year old hotel in a town with zero traffic. A sure economic win lol.

10. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's The Virginian.

4024.jpg 4025.jpg