ad: SDRKits-1

Feeling obligated to return a card

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KE0EYJ, Nov 26, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I still get bureau cards, about twice a year I guess. Which means I pay the bureau to send them to me, so I already have cost involved, just to receive them.
    Most these days are from JA's it seems, and I respond 100% via the bureau. I get very few direct QSL's, but I respond 100% to them as well. There was a time that I was getting quite annoyed at the direct ones that had no return envelope, but that hasn't happened in over a year now.

Suggestion - rather than seeing it as a burden, make it something fun - especially if your daughter gets a kick out of them. Go thru where they came from on a map, you can discuss the cultures, languages, clothing, whatever is of interest!

K8PG and W7UUU like this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You must be rich!
    Its great that you would spend 61 bucks for replies when you could do it for a fraction of that. Why don't you use an outgoing bureau?

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You should definitely get one next week... complete with SASE :)

Dave
    W7UUU

KV6O likes this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

@K1OIK would very much appreciate that sentiment. And I agree - it's a great way to share cultures with kids - view a card, look up the station on QRZ, then read about where they live and what it's like. I do this myself all the time - even if the QSL is just from an FT8 contact - I still like to learn a little about where it was my signal reached.

Dave
    W7UUU

W1TRY and K1OIK like this.
  5. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

@KE0EYJ I looked at your profile, you are one of the richest hams on here, Mina, your little girl makes you rich. If anyone doubts me look at his profile.

W1TRY and KE0EYJ like this.
  6. WO7R

WO7R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

1. Join LOTW. If you upload your QSOs there it costs you nothing and only costs them when they "cash in" for an award. They have no valid beef IMO if you use LOTW. You have already given them a cheap way to get awards. You do not need, at that point, to participate further in their QSL card collecting activities.

2. It is possible to make "buro" cards very, very cheaply. The very cheapest is to get 3x5 unruled index cards (100 such cards for about a dollar). While "3.5 x 5.5 inch" cards are kinda sorta standard, the 3x5 dimension is in the acceptable range. DO NOT use computer paper, too unkind to volunteers. The 3x5 card stock is just thick enough.

One way or another, you should be able to get acceptable QSO information onto the 3x5 card. Your address (state spelled out in full), US county, and grid square should serve to make your card valid for just about any award. Add the mystic phrase "confirming our 2way QSO" as some expect it. Then put in all the QSO information, including your call and theirs, and you're done. You can do this in very small quantities. You can use Photoshop, even Microsoft Office Word to prepare your card for printing.

If they sent a single sided card you can, as noted, also hand write the information on the back of their card. Just make it clear who is getting it (perhaps a yellow highlighter on the DX' call).

The 3x5 card should be at least 20 cards to the ounce, which does not cost much to return via the ARRL's Outgoing QSL service. You can respond once a year if you like. There's no hurry, nobody expects fast turnaround on "buro" cards. If this one special mailing is all you ever want to do, then just do that one, all of them, at once.

If you are only sending to South Korea, you can send it directly to their incoming QSL Bureau. At 20 cards per ounce (with the 3x5 cards) it won't cost more than two or three dollars to get rid of them all.

If you have more than Korean cards and if you cannot afford the ARRL's subscription, then skip step 2 and either use QDURE or don't answer at all. About half of all the cards I ever sent to the "buro" were never answered. You are hardly the lone ranger here if you decide to do nothing, though the LOTW thing should greatly assist in that you have given them an "out" and it also tends to cut down on card volume to begin with.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  7. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I do use LOTW, and put them in there. I also use QRZ logbook.

It's just the cost... and time... and in all honesty, I hate getting mail. I know it's weird, but paper mail just feels like work to me.

8. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Many stations that I have confirmed on LOTW still send cards via the bureau anyway. So it's not a complete escape.
    You might whittle it down some by checking the cards you received to see if they marked a pse qsl box on the card or not. If they didn't don't worry about it. Some people just kinda blanket send QSL cards via the bureau.

9. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

All of my contacts go to LoTW and the other online services.
    I also send direct and via the bureau for QSL CARDS as indicated on the other party's QRZ page if I want a card. One has nothing to do with the other.

10. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm sorry you hate getting mail, but imagine the time and effort the other guy went to in order to obtain your QSL card. It's a courtesy to respond to a QSL request.

And by the way, I get pretty snarky too after a good season of QSOs and contests when the price comes due ...