Feeling obligated to return a card

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KE0EYJ, Nov 26, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Got these in the mail, from a Korean ham friend, who was passing along from the bureau. About 2 1/2 years worth. My QRZ page says no, and I often tell them not to send a card in a QSO, because I don't have the money to send back. I feel kind of burdened, and sad about all of the time/money that these nice people put into this. Maybe I should make a card? I have to make one. I am afraid of the cost and time commitment.

It's really bad when they just automatically send money.
    20191126_134707.jpg

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

If your page says "NO QSL CARDS" (which it does) then you're not at all obligated, IMO.

Dave
    W7UUU

N0TZU likes this.
  3. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So many gorgeous cards. My daughter loves it.

20191126_141705.jpg

4. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you choose to respond to the cards I recommend the QDURE service.
    https://qsl.ure.es/en/
    They will print and send actual cards for around 13-14c each.

KE0EYJ, WW2PT, KY1K and 1 other person like this.
  5. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem is that not everyone reads QRZ or bothers to look assuming they ever heard of QRZ.COM.

For people who don’t respond to qsl cards or want them, it’s quite acceptable by the League (for DXCC purposes) to simply write confirmation info on the sender’s card and return it to him.

If that’s too much effort for anyone, they probably wouldn’t give it a second thought.

6. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I usually determine that a station doesn't respond to QSL requests when I don't receive anything after a few years. No big deal, except that P5 station ... :)

7. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just recently received 53 QSL cards from the bureau. I say that I will respond, and I will. (already bought the international stamps to do so)

That said, nobody is obligated to respond and if you send them a QSL card out. You should expect there is a very good possibility that it will be ignored.

So sender beware. It's the possible price of initiating a QSL card exchange with someone you don't know.

8. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

I feel guilty when I let a stack of Bureau QSLs sit around with no reply - I understand the obligated feeling. Improbable as it might seem, some of your QSOs might actually need your card for some award. Nowadays, there are many sources of decent QSLs - some amazingly inexpensive. Return postage is the gorilla in the room - do you have access to the Korean QSL bureau? Alternatively, and if a member of ARRL, you could take them with you on one of the rare (?) jaunts to the USA.

9. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Why would anyone need to send a card today? Internet does it for free.

10. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

I *never* initiate sending a QSL card in the mail these days. I understand the guilt and the burden. I *do*; however, respond 100% to anyone who takes the time to send me one. I respond direct from any and all sent to me, even from the bureau. I keep a stock of international postage stamps, along with domestic stamps. I always mail direct back.

Last time I spent time and money initiating QSL cards was when I was SV0JG. I'd spend more time filling out QSL cards and licking stamps than my actual on-the-air time. I actually budgeted for mail costs in my Staff Sargent pay. It was significant. The good thing was I went through the APO system for QSL cards bound for the U.S. Sadly, most hams don't return QSL cards. I was surprised how few sent cards back, even though all it took was a domestic stamp to an APO address. Back then, it was 13 cents to send me a card back. Jeez.

And for the folks who want eqsls, I'm waiting on a pin from the ARRL to activate my new callsign in LOTW. I've generated about a dozen ADIF's since acquiring my new call sign back in August.

Edit: And I'm planning on only uploading log entries waiting for my confirmation. My goal is to have a list of 100% confirmed in LOTW *only*. Zero unconfirmed. Why? I don't know. Just because...