ad: Alphaant-1

Feedback from R-Pi Foundation on availability of Zero and A+

Discussion in 'RFinderPi - Open Source radio interface based on R' started by KK4NSF, Apr 30, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm looking for a decent 4 port separately powered USB hub to disassemble and strap on underneath the Zero. The best one I've seen is almost the exact size of the Pi Zero board, but it apparently available only in Europe. There is one sold under the Belkin name about the same length of the board, but narrower. I have not seen that one in a disassembled (or rather, unpackaged) state. I think it would have to be re-mounted on a piece of PC board.

My Pi B+ currently has 3 of the 4 ports occupied: mouse, keyboard and USB drive. It will be 4 when I get the USB audio dongle set up with the "Flexible Digital Mode Interface" that I built several years ago. No CAT cable on any of my BA and homebrew rigs ;-)

Ted, KX4OM

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  2. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Ted.... I've used the little Belkin unit on a couple of A+ projects, and it works well. The one's I've used have a pc board with the usb ports soldered onto it. I always remove it from the plastic case, and mount it in whatever I'm building... or just stick it to the bottom of the Pi using 3m double sided tape.

The real question is: what are you going to build out of your zero?

3. KX4OM

That must be the same Belkin unit. I'll go ahead and order one. What to do with it? Well, after letting the B+ sit in its Canakit box since Christmas 2014 (present from my son), I finally set it up a few weeks ago when I got my hands on the 23" HDMI TV to use as the temporary monitor. I've done the Raspbian Jesse update over the Internet and put Fldigi on it. I did a post to the forum using it just for the heck of it. I need to scope out the Zero some more to see what interfaces I can use.

Ted, KX4OM

4. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

I was thinking about doing the same thing with my B+. Is there a good guide to follow for this?

I saw a video on Youtube where a guy was using a R Pi and a panadapter for Fldigi. I'll probably run mine on a linux distro on my laptop, but thought I'd mention it.

I'm having a nightmarish time running Fldigi with the ICOM-7200 through Win10--and I never had problems with Win7. If its a Win10 issue like many have reported with Fldigi and JT modes, then I may just go the Linux route for these on my Win10 laptop when I run portable.

But if I can use my B+ that would be great. If I need to upgrade to the 2 or 3, then hopefully the software/drivers/etc., don't give me fits. My coding ability is about 'copy/paste' from someone else's.

5. KX4OM

I'm going to set it up for CW first, initially getting Fldigi to just copy via the homebrew isolating board from the speaker terminal of my Tempo 2020. I have a cheap USB audio dongle for the the Pi B+, as the onboard audio is troublesome (so I've heard) for this type work. Then I'll get manual PTT configured (which is the way I do CW on all my boatanchors). Then I'll move on to check out the other modes and software PTT. The 2020 has a PLL VCO-VFO, so it may be stable enough. The other old rigs, probably not.

The idea of using the Pi started with getting a portable setup. I have a couple of homebrew transceiver projects underway that use digital VFOs for stability. I have a 4" monitor that uses composite video input, and I'll give that a try. KM4BLG has a good Youtube video on his portable setup.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5MtNWCNMqk

The B+ seems to have enough horsepower to do the job. It was a bit sluggish when using the browser and surfing the web over Ethernet from down in the basement. The OS software update download and installation was fast enough. The Pi 2 or 3 would obviously be better in that regard.

Ted, KX4OM

KK4NSF likes this.
  6. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks! :)

7. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

I would love to hear more about your keyer/reader made from a PI... If you would.