fee for renewing a "Vanity call"?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N9AER, Apr 10, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, no charge at all. The only trouble I've ever had with the ULS was when I couldn't find my freaking FRN number. Luckily I had recorded it and stashed it away, and after a bit of cussing located it. :)

2. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

The question asked was about renewals. But you want to discuss applications. OK. The "forever" timeline is actually as short as 18 days, and 21 days at the outside. And the exact processing date will not be a mystery. It will be well defined (unless a technical glitch or government shutdown gums up the process).

Much of the reasons for that amount of processing time has gone away (sending a fee by snail mail was the big one). Since that fee has been eliminated, I have noticed some discussion hoping to see the FCC reduce their processing time. I am not holding my breath waiting for the FCC to do anything. Perhaps some day the processing time might get reduced, but I suspect there are still a very small percentage of snail mail postmarked applications sent in. How much time should they allow for that? And how much do you trust the Post Office to deliver an important letter quickly? I trust them as far as I can throw a cotton ball without a tailwind.

3. W4NNF

It naturally takes some time to process a vanity call request.

License renewals? I was freaking amazed how quick that was when I used ULS. Heck, I requested a snail mail paper copy the last time I renewed, and they had it to my mailbox in two days!

4. W9BFZ

W9BFZ QRZ Member QRZ Page

The post I responded to (and quoted) asked about "vanity call fees" so I'm not sure why your panties are in a bunch about me answering that question.

Regarding how long it takes to process, I simply stated that it "seemed like forever." I admit that part of that is my own frustration in being stuck waiting for what could and should be a simple automated process. I understand that for hotly contested groups like 2X1 or 1X2, that isn't really as workable. But for a call with no competition, it would take a competent programmer less than an afternoon to write the script to speed the process up.

Snail mail? I thought that was reserved for birthday cards, bills, and junk mail. Keep up with the times, or be left behind.

5. N2SUB

N2SUB Ham Member QRZ Page

You number is:
    FCC Record # 3793076

Go to the details section of your QRZ page....there's even a button to take you directly to the ULS website. ;)

W4NNF likes this.
  6. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

That FCC record number can be used by anyone to find and view a record.
    (Which also can be found and viewed by call sign)

But it's an FCC Registration Number (FRN) --issued to the licensee and not publicly available-- that's required for transactions.
    ;)

7. W4NNF

Yep. That FRN's your PIN number for lack of a better term...and that's why I was so exercised when I thought I'd lost mine (you can recover it, of course). :)

8. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Your FRN number is 0007829948.

It is shown on the ULS and on your license. Anyone can see it.

KU4X and AG5DB like this.
  9. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

My bad. You're correct; the FRN is shown in the ULS and on license forms.
    (I was looking at the File Number that appears --more prominently-- on the form.)
    :confused:

But you need the PASSWORD that goes with the FRN to do transactions.

KU4X likes this.
  10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

That's funny, MY "FRN" is right on my license! I didn't need to reach (or search) for it at all! Even so, just look up your call in ULS, and your FRN is right there. You seem to be making a mountain out of a molehill. BTW, I DO have the password written down. If you forgot, it may take longer than 5 minutes, but that is YOUR bad.